Sell and buy at your own risk...
 #168875  by Jeffreyjames

I just don’t like carrying the 3 piece sms>mc50>1x12 e120 to practice/gigs anymore. I’d love a combo. Eyeing a FYD Trips44, but concerned about home play being too loud to get the tubes cooking. Thoughts?

The other option is to have FYD build one. That would be the 22, but concerned about that not having enough headroom. Dan said he has some tricks to give it more, however my band is a bit loud.

Any thoughts between the two? Or another combo that gets good Jerry tone? (Or if anyone has one for sale???) I’d also be willing to sell my JG rig mentioned below or even trade.
 #168879  by NeilG1

I’m less sure about that. Although I have to say, I have SMS-MosValve-D120 and find it great at low volume. Gain higher on the SMS and mosvalve way down low, with presence up. Still sounds great to my ear
 #168977  by wpmartin1979

I may get laughed off of this thread but for $300 you can pick up a 15W Fender Superchamp. Never mind the modeling channel (although you could use the twin reverb setting). Channel one is just clean authentic Fender Blackface tone with tube sparkle and plenty of headroom. If you upgrade the 12AX7 preamp tube and two 6V6GT power tubes you can get it to sound sweet. I don’t have the 10” combo, but I have the head that I use with 12” cabs (JBL or Cannabis Rex) and it really dials in Jerry Tones at low volumes but can also get very loud and stay clean. I use a Genelex Gold Lion preamp tube and two EHX 6V6GT power tubes. Honestly it sounds better than my Quilter 101 Reverb.
Just put your favorite Jerry Overdrive into channel one and you’re there.
All this talk about solid state Fender clones this and that, but you can actually get the real thing for a good price.
Maybe the low price scares people away or no one wants to admit that the answer is actually pretty simple. Why buy clones when you can get the real thing?
If you’re not into the SuperChamp a Blues Jr with the right speaker/tubes can get you there as well.
 #168978  by franklins_timmy

Check out Lil Dawg amps Wonderdawg. AB763 circuit... 12, 25, 35, or 50 watts in a Princeton size chassis. I was recently deciding between the FYD Trips and the Wonderdawg, went with the Wonderdawg 35 watt. Great sounding amp and Jim is the absolute best... just a pleasure to work with and his customer service is above & beyond. If you do a search you'll see nothing but good things said about him and his amps on the forums.

https://www.littledawgamps.com/the-wonderdawg/

Here's the thread I started. I need to update it now that I have had the amp a bit.

https://www.rukind.com/viewtopic.php?f=419&t=20521
 #168982  by Jon S.

This is my FYD JG (Jerry Garcia) Special Reverb combo. IIRC, it's currently sporting a pair of NOS Tung Sol 5881s. Regardless, it's a pretty damn loud amp.

With its D120 speaker, the combo weighs in at 45 lbs.

It has a "tweed switch" that lifts the tone stack. Upon doing that, you're talking tweed to Marshall tones with yet further greatly enhanced volume (perfect for ABB tunes).

The tweed-labeled dial, which works in both the regular and tweed settings, is quite interesting. It functions to my ear as a variable treble bleed cap (confirmed by the builder, Dan Lurie, in an email exchange). On the regular setting, by playing with the presence controls setting, I can coax tones from classic BF to Voxy "shattered glass" brilliance.

The construction is bulletproof - as good as it comes on an amp.

NeilG1 liked this
 #168997  by wpmartin1979

NeilG1 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:00 am I’m less sure about that. Although I have to say, I have SMS-MosValve-D120 and find it great at low volume. Gain higher on the SMS and mosvalve way down low, with presence up. Still sounds great to my ear
Hey I have a question about the Mosvalve. I have heard good things! Is yours a 962? In regards to the 962, I was wondering if it only works in stereo (w/ 2 speaker cabs, or if you can just run one 12” cab with it?
 #169003  by strumminsix

What Jerry accomplished was the result of all parts at his volume.

Don't fight it. You have a good stage rig, get a different home rig.

Problem with most "small amps" is they are built cheaply and with small transformers as they are designed for early breakup.

Few years ago I sought my perfect small amp. Went to Chicago Music Exchange, spend 2 hours in an isolated booth, and auditioned over a dozen small amps all priced above $1k. I bought aDr Z Maz 8. No regrets since. The low volume cleans are AMAZING, records well, and gigs wonderfully with some reinforcement.

A Jerry rig, no. But it was designed for low volume rich cleans and nails that clean American amp sound.
 #169011  by wpmartin1979

I’ve been hearing good things about the Twin Reverb Tone Master digital amps - the reviews mostly say they are super light weight with tons of headroom and a volume attenuator that can take you all the way down to 1 watt for practice levels and all the way up to 85 watts for gigs. Supposedly good for recording directly as well.

Anyone try one of these?