Musical Theory Abound!!!
 #75264  by jahozer

That change from playing in E to bm, also allows you to slur those chromatic runs in between the changes
 #75269  by Mick

tigerstrat wrote:
Mick wrote:
For FOTM, turn on the envelope filter with a little delay, play B mixolydian and you are getting in the Jerryish zone.
My one big tip for Jerryish sounds = Mixolydian Mode
This seems like it shouldn't work, because B mixo is going to use a natural A which is outside the key, but generally it does sound good and right as long as the solo resolves back to the B major chord.

How can A natural be "outside the key" if the two chords in the song are B maj and A maj ?
Because the song is written in B major, and in B major, A is sharp.
 #75271  by jahozer

What about FOTM makes you think it is in B?
 #75273  by Mick

jahozer wrote:What about FOTM makes you think it is in B?
Two things things really. First, I have two books of sheet music, one from Ice Nine Publishing, both of them show the song written in B major. Second, as I posted before, the scale degrees for the melody in the key of E are pretty strange, but are very straight-forward in the key of B.
 #75275  by jahozer

The melody is written modally, like the outro riff. B and A are key centers and the melody changes with them. That riff doesnt make sense in B major either. Jerry absolutely solos in the key of E with his usual B mixo and chromatic runs.
The harmony is what makes the key make sense and since A major is basically half of the song, it Wouldnt make sense that it is in B.

Sheet music is notorious for giving wrong keys in the name of simplification. If it was written for "easy guitar" then it most likely calls songs in their "street key" which most people thnk of as the first chord played.
 #75292  by Mick

jahozer wrote:The melody is written modally, like the outro riff. B and A are key centers and the melody changes with them. That riff doesnt make sense in B major either. Jerry absolutely solos in the key of E with his usual B mixo and chromatic runs.
Well, like I said, soloing in B mixo works, so I don't see much, if any, disagreement here.
The harmony is what makes the key make sense and since A major is basically half of the song, it Wouldnt make sense that it is in B.
While I agree that harmony is a huge contributor to what makes a song make sense, this wouldn't be the first song to prominently use an outside chord in the harmony.
Sheet music is notorious for giving wrong keys in the name of simplification. If it was written for "easy guitar" then it most likely calls songs in their "street key" which most people thnk of as the first chord played.
The book I have that I am thinking of is not for "easy guitar". I have posted in other threads what the book is, but I don't remember all of the details off the top of my head. If you are interested, I can post the details tonight. It is a common book though, and comes straight from Ice Nine, so in previous threads when folks still didn't want to accept the key of B major, I recommended that they take it up with Mickey Hart.