Musical Theory Abound!!!
 #44273  by sack the wack
 Sat May 24, 2008 4:08 am
I'm pretty much an acoustic guy without alot of opportunity for jammin' with another guitar player. In lieu of that, anybody got any good suggestions on a good practice set up so I could put down some chords to play over? I don't want to break the bank and I don't want to buy more than I need but something that would be practical for general use. I've heard of looping machines? and I guess I'd need a 'mike'. Anything else I'd really need with it and what's a decent 'mike'? What would I maybe spend? I do have a late '50's Bassman if I need to plug in (or piss off the neighbor) or do I not have to worry about an amp. I'm pretty much a techno moron, it only took 30sec. to find the 'on' button for the computer. Any help in the right direction would great.

#44275  by Emoto
 Sat May 24, 2008 6:44 am
The cheapest thing to do would be to find and download the free audio tool called Audacity and then plug a mic into your computer soundcard jack and record straight to your hard drive.

#44276  by bucketorain
 Sat May 24, 2008 7:03 am
i used to recond on an old tape deck the chords then play it back and then play the lead over it.

#44278  by jjbankhead
 Sat May 24, 2008 8:59 am
Emoto wrote:The cheapest thing to do would be to find and download the free audio tool called Audacity and then plug a mic into your computer soundcard jack and record straight to your hard drive.
i second this i was prepared to drop a feww hundred on something and a friend brought over audacity on a lap top.

we plugged right into a mic jack, which doesn't provide the best recordings quality, but i believe you could use a sound blaster or something to get a better input or an interface of some sort either way it works fine for my uses and it is damn easy to use