Musical Theory Abound!!!
 #168393  by zkinard

Wondering if anyone could recommend a Dead tune or a cover they did that is a basic blues tune in A? Started working through a blues guitar lesson book and the beginning primarily starting me off in key of A. Would be fun to apply some of this stuff to a blues tune the Dead wrote or played. Big Railroad Blues sounds like it's in A to me. Is that an A Major blues tune?
 #168394  by tdcrjeff

Yes, Big Railroad Blues is in A. Other blues tunes in A include Little Red Rooster, C.C. Rider, Around and Around, Alabama Getaway...
 #168395  by Jon S.

Also Walking Blues.

Re: focusing specifically on songs in A, is the lesson book you're learning from teaching you blues scales in the open position? If so, no problem continuing to use it but may I humbly suggest expanding your sources.
 #168401  by Jon S.

wabisabied wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:47 pm It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry
Love this song! I do it in E because E fits my vocal range - a big part of why, in my first reply, I suggested not relying too heavily on a teaching source for the blues that is too focused on any single key (unless you're seeking to emulate John Lee Hooker - then E's your key 8) - which reminds me, one day I'll get around to posting my "5 key licks to know to sound like Hooker" :P ).
wabisabied liked this
 #168403  by TI4-1009

Jon S. wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:52 am
wabisabied wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:47 pm It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry
Love this song! I do it in E because E fits my vocal range - a big part of why, in my first reply, I suggested not relying too heavily on a teaching source for the blues that is too focused on any single key (unless you're seeking to emulate John Lee Hooker - then E's your key 8) - which reminds me, one day I'll get around to posting my "5 key licks to know to sound like Hooker" :P ).
One of my very favorite Dylan songs. He brought it back for the encore last year.
 #168404  by wabisabied

Jon S. wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:52 am
Love this song! I do it in E because E fits my vocal range - a big part of why, in my first reply, I suggested not relying too heavily on a teaching source for the blues that is too focused on any single key...
I agree that key is kind of irrelevant to learning the blues, but if you want to jam along with Jerry to this one, you gotta learn the licks in A!
 #168405  by wabisabied

TI4-1009 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:04 amOne of my very favorite Dylan songs. He brought it back for the encore last year.
One of these days, if I don’t do something about it sooner than later, Dylan will have passed on and I will hate myself for never having seen him perform live. Maybe I’ll get my chance if/when we all re-emerge some time in the next several months.
 #168407  by zkinard

Thanks all. great suggestions here. The book(s) aren't focused on one particular key. Author happens to pick key of A as starting point for teaching basic blues structure, rhythms, etc. It's a 3 book series called the Complete Guide to Playing Blues Guitar.

Much of it I already have a decent handle on. I've just never been good at sticking to a program per-se and practicing with purpose. Much noodling and learning tunes without understanding what they hell I'm actually doing. Figured introductory blues series could be fun place to begin my new approach. Always open to suggestion.
 #168424  by lbpesq

wabisabied wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:16 am
TI4-1009 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:04 amOne of my very favorite Dylan songs. He brought it back for the encore last year.
One of these days, if I don’t do something about it sooner than later, Dylan will have passed on and I will hate myself for never having seen him perform live. Maybe I’ll get my chance if/when we all re-emerge some time in the next several months.

I have seen Dylan live numerous times over the years. To be honest, it’s a hit or miss proposition. I’ve seen him him when he’s into it and just outstanding. I’ve also seen him just mumble every lyric at hyper-speed and I wound up walking out of the show. You never know what you’re going to get.

Bill, tgo
 #168425  by Jon S.

That’s definitely the case with this moody, inscrutable genious.

I’m lucky to have caught Dylan 3X, twice with the Dead and once with his own band at Wolf Trap.
 #168426  by NeilG1

I've seen Dylan 10 times over the past 25 years. Definitely hit or miss! Actually found the best era by far was right around Jerry's death. Dylan launched his "neverending tour" and was really on fire. Wild, lively performances, taking guitar solos (!), with a fantastic band. In spite of the fact that his new album is really pretty spectacular, IMO, the last time I saw him play I told myself would be the final. About 2 years ago, and really was not good. At all.
 #168427  by Jon S.

Worth the watch if you haven't already.

NeilG1 liked this