Musical Theory Abound!!!
 #167095  by ap0p

Hey guys,

Recently I've been trying to "learn guitar" and was wondering what resources and practice routines helped most for you. I've been playing for some time now, even had private lessons, but now feel lost sifting through the large amount of learning material online. My previous teacher focused on teaching me memorizing popular songs in one position rather than truly understanding the song and guitar/fretboard. Thanks to the help of online resources I have a moderate understanding of the CAGED system with limited application when playing. My goals overall are to develop a working knowledge of the fretboard and strengthen my chops as a rhythm player. I believe that to become a successful lead player you have to start behind the band before you can stand out. My question really is where do I go from here? I don't have much of a practice routine, I really just stumble through pieces and cool riffs I've picked up by ear from listening to the Dead. How did you begin your journey and what resources helped you get there? What's your practice routine like and how did you develop yours?

Cheers,
BB
 #167096  by Jon S.

I don't know that I'd necessarily file this under "fretboard fluidity" but FWIW a pal on TGP shared these excellent music theory lessons that I benefited from, and you might, too:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... c.1371119/

Among the reasons I'm sharing this now is that, at some point in my guitar life - when, exactly, I can no longer recall - I began to focus more on intervals than scales. I found this improved my ability to navigate my leads around chord changes dramatically.

Hope this helps.
ap0p, jgraum liked this
 #167098  by jgraum

even as an experienced player, I found these lessons very very useful.

thanks!

Jon S. wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:30 am I don't know that I'd necessarily file this under "fretboard fluidity" but FWIW a pal on TGP shared these excellent music theory lessons that I benefited from, and you might, too:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... c.1371119/

Among the reasons I'm sharing this now is that, at some point in my guitar life - when, exactly, I can no longer recall - I began to focus more on intervals than scales. I found this improved my ability to navigate my leads around chord changes dramatically.

Hope this helps.
Jon S. liked this