#160528  by tkwest2000

Good Morning! Long time lurker, first post. I picked up the guitar again after a 40-year layoff a year ago. I'm attempting to improve my jamming skills and was playing with the Alligator jam from 2-28-69 this morning. I'm learning theory and modes and spending time with Grateful Guitar Lessons. Does anyone have any thoughts on the Alligator jam? I'm approaching it as a V chord vamp, E Mixolydian (A major). I do know the e chord shares all over the neck, not quite sure how to use them. I understand what arpeggios are, but don't know how to use them either, or rather haven't practiced. Any particular arpeggios anyone would recommend? Any other thoughts on the jam? How do you approach it? Thanks!
 #160530  by frankenstein260

tkwest2000 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:21 am Good Morning! Long time lurker, first post. I picked up the guitar again after a 40-year layoff a year ago. I'm attempting to improve my jamming skills and was playing with the Alligator jam from 2-28-69 this morning. I'm learning theory and modes and spending time with Grateful Guitar Lessons. Does anyone have any thoughts on the Alligator jam? I'm approaching it as a V chord vamp, E Mixolydian (A major). I do know the e chord shares all over the neck, not quite sure how to use them. I understand what arpeggios are, but don't know how to use them either, or rather haven't practiced. Any particular arpeggios anyone would recommend? Any other thoughts on the jam? How do you approach it? Thanks!
Im not sure abut alligator, but understanding the CAGED system helps putting the neck together. Here is a link to a video, Ian is great guy and also does some Dead lessons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kQOsPhxR00

best,
Nathan
Last edited by frankenstein260 on Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #160532  by aiq

Everyone's brain is wired uniquely. I use parent scale, that's how I learned it and it is internalized now.

E mixo = A major E to E for me. Mixo is built off the fifth.

Or using C scale
C to C, Ionian
D to D, Dorian
E to E, Phrygian
F to F, Lydian
G to G, Mixolydian
A to A, Aeolian
B to B, Locrian

Others just see mixo as major scale with a flat seven.

Grateful Guitar Lessons has a good couple of scale lessons, not affiliated.
 #160893  by flyingheelhook

So just to chime in on modes in general...

For years I always thought use of a particular scale or mode was an artistic choice to color one's approach. But now, I sort of reverse engineer it and look at the chords to determine what is the appropriate scale or mode. Its a subtle shift, but makes more sense to me.