Place for the rest of the music
 #166077  by tcsned

Not Dead stuff but I play and a group with my colleagues at Radford University. We started doing Appalachian music for one of the professors in the Appalachian Studies department but we play a lot of random stuff. Two of our members are archivists in our library and one of the stumbled across a book from the 30s (I think) that had music and lyrics from old folk songs. This tune, Blackberry Blossom has been a banjo tune I think first recorded by Bill Keith in the early 70s as an instrumental tune which is the only way I've ever heard it played. This book had lyrics for the tune so we decided to get Anthony to sign it. Then we started digging and most of these "instrumentals" have lyrics so I'm proclaiming my group the "greatest singers of instrumental tunes" in the world! :-)

This is an obscure Bill Monroe instrumental that Jeff wrote lyrics for

this is just one of my favorite John Hartford tunes
Lephty, augustwest1 liked this
 #166084  by Lephty

This is great! Love the concept, and I definitely never knew there were words to BBB. Leftover Salmon does Whiskey Before Breakfast w/ lyrics.
tcsned liked this
 #166085  by tcsned

Lephty wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:14 am This is great! Love the concept, and I definitely never knew there were words to BBB. Leftover Salmon does Whiskey Before Breakfast w/ lyrics.
That's cool, we do that one too :)