Place for the rest of the music
 #162280  by tcsned

Hey all! I while back RUKINDer, bresci told me it would be cool if we played The Core from Clapton's Slowhand record. It's got an awesome Marcy Levy vocal on it. We have been playing that tune on and off for the last 30 years so I figured we would dust it off. It's a great power rock tune . . . and I love Clapton. I am also starting to get comfortable with the Kemper Profiling Amp. I am also a dumbass and left the footswitch at home so I couldn't switch between amp very smoothly. I did use a '69 Marshall on Mr Charlie and Deal. I think it worked pretty well. I'm really loving that box. Much easier to control stage volume which makes my bandmates happy.

Here you go bresci!
Last edited by tcsned on Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #162283  by tcsned

If you hear that hiss on the video it was that patch of trees full of cicadas right next to the bar. I thought it was my tinnitus acting up. Then I spent a good bit of the second set fight off the giant garden spiders trying to make webs right above my head :shock:
 #162321  by tcsned

bcresci wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:15 pm Excellent - thanks for taking the request. I have to live vicariously through you guys. :-)
You should come sit in with us again if you make it through the Blue Ridge Mountains again. That was fun!

Any RUKINDers passing through also have an open invitation . . .
 #162326  by widespreadhokie

Tcsned,

I may have to take you up on that one next time I'm in town for a game. Have to have room to haul the old traynor, my go to (but the oldest will be off to college next yr, that gets us space). Btw, you guys are one of the reasons I started playing when I was a 16 yo freshman at tech, along with seeing Jerry for the first times. Thanks for that. I figured you and Stoney looked like you were having fun and it didn't look too hard (lol). Little did I know I'd be sitting here 25 years later with so much left to learn. Kind of a full circle thing if I make it back to play.

And you guys used to do the core all the time with stoney, about every other Wednesday night at South Main. One of the best songs you did. I still play the little fill between verses the way u used too up and down neck, I guess u got more efficient over the years :-) . Learned it from a guy that was your student and he learned it straight from you.

Cool amp, I may invest so I don't have to haul the 85 lb behemoth anymore, kind of a hassle.
But I'd miss her, she sounds damn good, like a cross between a twin and an old marshall (kind of a two for one deal so I can get that dickey tone with some honk too).
tcsned liked this
 #162328  by tcsned

widespreadhokie wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:33 am Tcsned,

I may have to take you up on that one next time I'm in town for a game. Have to have room to haul the old traynor, my go to (but the oldest will be off to college next yr, that gets us space). Btw, you guys are one of the reasons I started playing when I was a 16 yo freshman at tech, along with seeing Jerry for the first times. Thanks for that. I figured you and Stoney looked like you were having fun and it didn't look too hard (lol). Little did I know I'd be sitting here 25 years later with so much left to learn. Kind of a full circle thing if I make it back to play.

And you guys used to do the core all the time with stoney, about every other Wednesday night at South Main. One of the best songs you did. I still play the little fill between verses the way u used too up and down neck, I guess u got more efficient over the years :-) . Learned it from a guy that was your student and he learned it straight from you.

Cool amp, I may invest so I don't have to haul the 85 lb behemoth anymore, kind of a hassle.
But I'd miss her, she sounds damn good, like a cross between a twin and an old marshall (kind of a two for one deal so I can get that dickey tone with some honk too).
Right on!! Come out any time! It's funny how many people I meet again from those old South Main Cafe days - in weird places. Definitely drop me a line if you make it down. I think we may be playing at Sycamore Deli (formerly Pedro's) on a home game night - not sure of the date. I miss playing with Mark (Stoney) every week. He played with us earlier in the month during Steppin' Out. Hopefully VT can lure him back from Penn St :)
 #162338  by widespreadhokie

Yeah, Mark was a good vocalist, you are filling in admirably. I used to hang out with Raj some back then, was pretty good friends with his roommate Steve. Him and Joe (his drummer) had a decent band that used to play all of our parties, cannot for the life of me remember who played guitar for them though. Seems like you guys have had quite a few folks coming in and out of the band over the years as folks move on, with you and Wendy remaining the constant. If I am in town I always look to see if y'all are playing kind of for nostalgia's sake, seems like there's someone new about every five years or so when I get to see you.

Y'all had a good gig on Wednesdays at South Main, you would pack that place with a late arriving crowd pretty much every Wednesday night as I recall. Had a pretty big following, it was the place to be if you were in that crowd. Some of my buddies and I were talking about some really good and hilarious memories from hanging out listening to you guys there and the aftermath, we were fortunate blacksburgs finest didn't take note of us a few times.

That place was awesome in general, great atmosphere, great music, great spot in time. I can remember seeing ARU there and literally standing beside JH as he played, can't do that any more, he's in arenas. I think david nelson with barry sless was the same way if I recall, some of those memories are pretty hazy, lol. There was a laundry list of future famous acts that came thru there. Looking back it really blows my mind that ARU was not one of the bands that came big out of that morass of bands doing the jam thing in that era, they were doing something special and a little different. But all of those guys found their way in other ways I guess.

I'll reach out when I get a chance to come down, may not be this season, may be next. I am sure you guys will keep chuggin along.
 #162355  by tcsned

Right on! Raj and Joey's band was EetWau I believe. Raj still plays with us on occasion. I think their guitar player's name was Nate.

Some great shows at SMC - I was at that ARU show, I got to open for Merle Saunders, Jorma, Rick Danko, and a few others. My bluegrass band opened for a band Barry Sless played in called the Lone Starlets with these gorgeous ladies on sax and guitar. Definitely the halcyon days of the Blacksburg music scene. Were you at that WSP show there? It was right before they hit the big time. I think there were only 10-15 people there. Vasser played there too. Lots of memorable shows - John Hartford, Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, Mark O'Connor . . .