#12511  by Chief5959

I would name a lot of the guys above to my top ten list. If I was naming a jazz player I would go for Dave Holland. He has played all types of music from Miles to bluegrass. Check out the stuff he has done with Norman Blake and Vassar Clements.
The second guy I would name who I feel is always overlooked in any bass best of discussions is Jack Cassidy. I do not know why is does not have a better reputation in the bass world. I would be interested to know what others thought.

#12512  by d-v-s

for rock - claypool, and flea
for jazz - stanley clarke and ray brown
for blues - O'teil, and John Kahn
for jams - phil

and the man who started the rock revolution - Paul McCartney

#12513  by Crazy 9.5 Fingers

In no particular order.

Bootsy Collins
Dave Holland
Victor Wooten
J. Entwistle
Ron Carter
Phil Lesh in 1969

#12540  by golfnutt

I love Barry Oakley's style it's just a shame his career was so short.

#12541  by grateful4booze

Number 1 - The OX

Number 1a - Phil Lesh

Number 1b - Geddy Lee

#15048  by Pigpen

Berry Oakley, Phil Lesh, Mike Gordon, Jack Cassidy

#15061  by whitelacestrange

hands down greatest bassist ever (self proclaimed at least).... jaco pastorius

#15079  by IamDocWatson

eyebrows cassady

#15164  by WharfRat315

My favorite is Geddy Lee, but Phil Lesh is a close second. I think John Paul Jones of Zep was awesome, but overshadowed somewhat by Jimmy Page

#15165  by revned_04

victor wooten is by far the best, i agree that les's slapping is pretty sick, like on tommy the cat. But flea cant hold a candle to victor wooton. Its like comparing the grateful dead to journey.

#15187  by BlobWeird

Id definitely have to say Phil Lesh and John Kahn. Doesnt get much better than them IMO. Gordon and Danko are great too though.
 #57591  by philsaam

all of the above --plus Michael Manring ----Mark Egan-----precise intonation --masters of the fretless bass----------John Heard 5-string upright --Doug Lunn fretless player old buddy----------------------Jerome "CURLY" Howard bass solo in the three stooges short " DIS -ORDER IN THE COURT"------Dad-----phil

Re:

#57595  by tigerstrat

revned_04 wrote:victor wooten is by far the best, i agree that les's slapping is pretty sick, like on tommy the cat. But flea cant hold a candle to victor wooton. Its like comparing the grateful dead to journey.
Guys that DO hold a candle to Wooten's slapping creativity/explosiveness: Oteil Burbridge (Aquarium Rescue, Allmans, Bill Kreutzmann Trio) and Kai Eckhardt (John McLaughlin, Billy Cobham, Garaj Mahal)

Re:

#57600  by warrenMFKNhaynes

acidrain30005 wrote: 10. Gene Simmons
:lol:

Oteil, Dave Schools (nobody really?), John Paul Jones, George Porter Jr. (nobody?)

I gotta go, but I'll add to it

oh yea and this chick who plays with jeff beck

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2gO7FI_ogvA&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2gO7FI_ogvA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]