#169455  by zkinard

I've been watching a bunch of youtube videos and am wanting to teach myself how to setup my strat style guitar. Any suggestions for basic, must-have tools to pick up for best results. Planning to purchase these at stew mac here soon.
 #169457  by Jon S.

If you've already chosen StewMac as your supplier, why not simply trust their judgment?

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-a ... 20Products

EDIT: I just got an email right now from StewMac, viz: "SAVE 15% ON YOUR ENTIRE ORDER: Offer available to original recipients of this email. Expires January 31, 2021 at 11:59PM EST. Does not include the purchase of Gift Certificates, StewMAX Membership, shipping and processing, or other discounts and discounted items." Maybe you did, too.
wabisabied liked this
 #169464  by NeilG1

I am far from an expert here, but all I have bought for this purpose is an action gauge. I can use it to measure action and neck relief. Costs a few bucks. I adjust my truss rod with a normal hex wrench (Allen key) and my bridge height and saddle intonation with a normal screwdriver.
Unless you are considering re-radiusing your neck, I don’t know why you need to measure this during a set up? But again- I’m no expert.
Seems like you can do this work with less. But I also appreciate the desire for a nice kit.
 #169468  by lbpesq

I agree that you can get away with just the string action gauge. If you are just setting up your own guitar, and you don’t have lots of guitars, you really don’t need an entire radius gauge set, and any straight edge will do. I’ve been a Stewmax member for years - it’s a great deal if you order often. The Stewmac tool I use the most, by far, is their “Guitar Tech Screwdriver Set”. It really is VERY handy. It’s a little pricey at around $50, but it seems to go on sale fairly often.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-a ... r-set.html

And when it comes to set ups, you will also need a good tuner for setting intonation. I use my old trusty Peterson VS-II. I don’t trust the clip-ons for this purpose. No reason, that’s just me.

Bill, tgo
TI4-1009, NeilG1 liked this
 #169476  by NeilG1

Those screwdrivers look nice!
I guess it depends on what tools you have around for other purposes, and the bridge you have etc. You need to be able to access the screws for the saddles without scratching your guitar. And with the strings on.

Big +1 on the tuner. I think ideally one with strobe mode. The more accurate the better - like +/- 0.1 cent or better even.