#461  by violanojblues

I have been hearing so much about Zappa lately that it has sparked my curiosity. I'd like to know more about his music. Does anyone have any recommended listenings for me (or any other non-Zappa fan) to start with? I like pretty much straight-up rock-n-roll and blues. I've been listening to Thing Fish which is hilarious, but I'm interested in some of that amazing guitar work that I hear so much about.

#462  by jck_strw

Well if you're interested in hearing just great guitar work, I would recommend Shut Up And Play Yer Guitar (3 CDs) and Guitar (2 CDs). It's just Frank solos, so if guitar solos is what you're interested in, these two are the CDs to get.

If you want to hear some of Frank's music (lyrics and all with great solos thrown in), I would recommend:

Sheik Yerbouti
Zoot Allures
Joe's Garage

Really great stuff.

FZ

#941  by Guest

I would also recommend Hot Rats, an unbelievable rock album that shows some of franks composition strengths as well as sick rock'n'roll soloing and structure. Overnite Sensation and Apostrophe are also good albums if you're just getting into Franks music and style.

#948  by deadhed330

yea, just got into zappa about a year ago. i started w/ apostrophe and strictly commercial. than my awesome dads friend gave me a mp3 of concerts from 71 73 74 and have been listening to it ever since.

#1508  by Bean

Joe's Garage was a sick album by Zappa. Probably my favorite, definitely check that out.
 #134475  by ebick

For me, Joe's Garage was my first exposure, and I loved that. I was in 9th grade. My Social Studies teacher had been into earlier Zappa, and turned me on to:

1) We're Only In It For The Money
2) Hot Rats
3) Weasels Ripped My Flesh

There was no turning back from there.
 #134477  by mgbills

Zappa is a total curiosity to me. He didn't get commercial air play in the 70's & early 80's when I was into Zep & Floyd. Once I hit the Dead scene, I completely stepped out of commercial radio. So he's completely invisible to me.

Wiered.
 #134478  by frell

I will add that 200 Motels is also on Netflix right now. While that might not be best thing for a Zappa beginner, it is truly entertaining and weird. The music is amazing as well!
 #134484  by Charlie

I haven't heard a bad Zappa album yet but my favourites would be Burnt Weeny Sandwich, Hot Rats; Overnight Sensation, and Reuben and the Jets for a twisted take on Do Wop.

Interestingly, Zappa was in some ways the antithesis of the Dead:
- all his music is tightly arranged with little room for improvisation other than designated solos.
- Zappa hated drugs and insisted his band members be straight while performing.
- in the early days a lot of Zappa's satirical lyrics were aimed squarely at the Hippie counterculture.

Still, no doubt the man was a musical genius and unlike the Dead, he did tour Australia a few times and I actually got to see him play! :-)
 #134571  by frell

Jerry Garcia Band did open for Zappa in 84 I believe and apparently Zappa performed a Deal jam, after JGB played Deal earlier in the night. I have the JGB show, but have yet to find the Zappa show.