#47333  by old man down

I was able to upgrade to Business First on Continental Airlines around ten years ago on a return flight from San Francisco to Newark.

Pre-boarding ahead of most everyone else, as I settled into my seat I realized that the low volume cabin music was some incredible Dead jam. It sounded like the middle of a Playing>Uncle John's Band jam.

Very cool, and made perfect sense since it was Frisco where the boys hailed from. I think I was the only one who knew, other then the flight attendant who must have known too. He put it on again upon landing.

#47336  by SpaceYrface43

met up with my advisor in college, had a seat and soon noticed he was jamming to the grateful Dead. Needless to say we had a good long conversation and became good buds.

#47337  by Django

This is probably not so much place as context. I just got back from a mini-tour seeing the boys around the midwest in the early 80s and I was out for the first time after getting back, on a date, and we were talking in a little bar, (it wasn't known for music or anything), and the 'Skeleton and Roses' album started playing.
I probably geeked out a bit on the Dead and nothing really ever turned out with the girl; maybe I was too much into something besides her :smile:.
Back then it was unusual to hear the Dead around here anywhere out in public.

#47353  by tigerstrat

This morning on the Today Show b'cast from Beijing, they played an instrumental section of China Cat as background to a video piece. Get it? CHINA Cat...

#47355  by Dozin

tigerstrat wrote:This morning on the Today Show b'cast from Beijing, they played an instrumental section of China Cat as background to a video piece. Get it? CHINA Cat...
I love when Heads are running the audio for high profile broadcasted sports events.

#47362  by prephippie

My 4th grade teacher (this was around 1988) used to play Grateful Dead as background music when we took spelling tests. I didn't know who the hell the GD was at the time, but I distinctly remember thinking to myself "now that's a weird name for a group." The name kinda stuck in my 10 year-old head.

Me and a friend of mine that was in that class get a good chuckle about it every now and then. We start laughing about how many smoke breaks she used to take during the day. :D

#47369  by mttourpro

tigerstrat wrote:This morning on the Today Show b'cast from Beijing, they played an instrumental section of China Cat as background to a video piece. Get it? CHINA Cat...
Gotta love that. :cool:

#47378  by SpaceYrface43

pretty sure i have heard the Dead being played during the NBA playoffs as they head into commercial on NBC. I'm sure Walton had something to do with this. You hear Walton quote Dead lyrics all the time when he calls games i always get a laugh out of him.

#47379  by astroman99

El Paso on a musack radio station, please don't flame me...
I don;'t want to hijack the thread but the best musack song I heard was little piggies(beatles) in a market in Oregon in the '8o's

#47391  by tigerstrat

astroman99 wrote:El Paso on a musack radio station, please don't flame me...
I don;'t want to hijack the thread but the best musack song I heard was little piggies(beatles) in a market in Oregon in the '8o's
Not gonna flame you, but EP is pretty well-known as a Marty Robbins song.

#47399  by deadguise

I sometimes hear Touch of Grey and Estimated piped over the speakers at the Orchard Supply hardware store near my home.

#47404  by boxorain

We were on vacation a couple of weeks ago at the Oregon coast. Walked into about the 4th gift shop in Depot Bay, and as I opened the door for my wife, Scarlet Begonias began playing over the store's system- loud!

Synchronicity.

#47431  by ebick

Franklin's Tower on the outro to commercial on the Pro Bowlers Tour.

#47545  by pappypgh

*Saint Stephen in the showroom here at the dealership!

*The Weather Channel (also good place to hear Phish)

:cool: :cool: :cool:

#47556  by bodiddley

A car dealer saw I was a head and said he was too. Maybe he was just trying real hard to sell me a car but I gave him a tape and he played it for a while over their PA.

The Weather Channel eh? Well, I'm a weather channel junkie and have never hear the GD on it. Floyd, Allman's, Layla, and some other cool stuff, but never the Dead. Do you remember the song?