#172169  by Jon S.

#172170  by lbpesq

Some I agree with, some I don’t. Definitely hits the bullseye on Phish lyrics! “If I knew the way, I would take you home” vs. “Suzy, Suzy, Suzy, Suzy Greenberg”. What I think he misses is that the Dead, and especially the jams, could more accurately be viewed as a jazz approach employing rock ‘n roll tools. If you don’t get jazz on a gut level, you don’t get the Dead.

I also disagree that the Dead burned out after ‘78. IMHO they enjoyed a renaissance after Jerry recovered from his diabetic coma in the latter part of the 80’s. Unfortunately, it went downhill again in the 90’s after the hit with “Touch of Grey” attracted a wave of non-Deadheads filling huge stadiums.

Bill, tgo
 #172172  by wabisabied

I understand where he’s coming from and agree with a lot of it. Pre-1979 tapes are what made me love them, and I was fortunate to be part of the audience during that renaissance from ’88-’91. Experienced some real magic during that time, but never felt inspired by a show after ’91. Part of that may have been that I’d become a bit jaded and moved on to other primary personal interests, but this article isn’t the only one that makes me think it probably wasn’t just me. My last show was also Portland ’95, the first night. It was bad enough I ditched out and went surfing the next day instead of sticking around for the second night show. It wasn’t just the band; I ran into old tour friends there from the east coast who were going nowhere in life and really kind of bummed me out. It seemed like a band and culture in decay, and Jerry’s passing shortly thereafter served as a confirmation of this to me. So from an historical standpoint, I think the author makes some good points. And I agree with Bill above, that if someone doesn’t like jazz, they’re not gonna like a lot of the Grateful Dead.

Personally I don’t share the animosity toward their more extended songs, jams and the drums-space portion of their performances. Sometimes these were the most inspiring parts of the shows for me. That’s just a personal preference and I don’t begrudge anyone their own tastes. There are plenty of artists out there who are geniuses, but whose art just doesn’t speak to me, and that’s okay. I can appreciate their genius and the love others have for them, I just never choose to listen to them, myself. Prince comes to mind.

What always puzzled me was the level of disdain some people expressed toward the GD and their fans, particularly by many in the punk rock scene, who to me seemed like they were similar to heads, just with higher value placed on a “fuck everyone” attitude than musicianship. Don’t like ‘em? Don’t go to a show! Although I guess I get it a little bit, in that some dead heads were kind of annoyingly evangelical, sort of like certain vegans today. Probably some of the same people!
 #172175  by Jon S.

wabisabied wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:45 pm I understand where he’s coming from and agree with a lot of it. ...

Personally I don’t share the animosity toward their more extended songs, jams and the drums-space portion of their performances. ...

What always puzzled me was the level of disdain some people expressed toward the GD and their fans, particularly by many in the punk rock scene, who to me seemed like they were similar to heads, just with higher value placed on a “fuck everyone” attitude than musicianship. Don’t like ‘em? Don’t go to a show! ...
Your post is full of excellent points but I mostly want to tell you that your Farmhouse Studio Solo Tracks 2017 are very cool (I'm digging 'em right now!). :rockon:
wabisabied liked this
 #172176  by wabisabied

Thanks for making my day, Jon!

Also, as a follow up to my comments above, I don’t mean to take anything away from anyone else’s experiences with the GD. It’s all from my own personal perspective, and I can only imagine that what I found magical during my high time with the band was considered a shadow of their genius by those earlier to the party. A lot of it really hinged on where I was, personally, and where I saw people I cared about going, or not going, as the case may have been, including Jerry. This is not unique to the GD influenced portion of my life, just a part of the human experience, I believe. :musicsmile:
 #172184  by Chocol8

I can’t disagree with everything, but I do think he really missed out on the 80’s.

Sure there were some clunkers, like all eras, but there were some really great shows in the 83-89 era and overall, I think that period actually encompasses the band at their very best. Different than the late 60’s improvisation period, or the legendary 77 Spring tour, which one could also make an argument for as the bands “peak” if so inclined. The 80’s to me were the peak of their musician ship, and the mix of Brent’s organ and unique voice added an element that no other keyboardist delivered.* Bobby was a better singer and guitar player in the 80’s as well.

*Obviously, Pigpen was a huge piece of the first era of Dead, but primarily as a singer and an influence and not as a musician.
 #172186  by lbpesq

Funny how we can all have different perceptions. My favorite year was probably '74 with The Wall. I thought Bobby got lost in the mix too much in the 80's. I also felt like he was expending too much energy being "the cute one" and posing for the girls and not enough playing his guitar.

Bill, tgo