#171951  by lbpesq

Bummer - Phil just put this out.

Bill, tgo

Dear Terrapin Nation,

After almost ten amazing years, we've decided that it's time to close the book on this chapter of Terrapin Crossroads. We're incredibly thankful for the staff, musicians, and community that made Terrapin special, and we hope that you'll remember the past decade the same way that we do; with love, joy, and a deep sense of pride at what we all built together.

We explored all possible options in an attempt to keep Terrapin at its current location, but after carefully considering a number of various partnerships and collaborations, we decided that the best thing for us, and for Terrapin, was to bid farewell - for now. In that spirit, while Terrapin's time at its current location may be coming to a close, we know that Terrapin Crossroads was never a location - it was a community. We hope to see you all soon, in some form, somewhere down the road.

With Love and Gratitude,

Phil and Jill Lesh
 #171953  by Jon S.

.אֱנוֹשׁ, כֶּחָצִיר יָמָיו,כְּצִיץ הַשָּׂדֶה, כֵּן יָצִיץ, כִּי רוּחַ עָבְרָה-בּוֹ וְאֵינֶנּוּ, וְלֹא-יַכִּירֶנּוּ עוֹד מְקוֹמוֹ

As for man, his days are as grass, as a flower of the field, so he flourishes, for the wind passes over it and it is gone, and the place knows of it no more.

It was a good run. And why I repeat so often in our discussions of Dead and Company's strengths and weaknesses and elsewhere the importance of appreciating what we have while we still have it.
 #171958  by jackevorkian

Any word on why they're closing? It almost sounds as though it has more to do with the location, rather than the success of the business.

EDIT...looks like it has something to do with continued use of the outdoor space:

Terrapin’s use of the outdoor space was tied to their lease at the San Rafael club property, and the Terrapin team was unable to negotiate a deal with their landlord. The spot is rumored to become a Jeep dealership.
 #171959  by lbpesq

I believe the issue was the lease on the restaurant. The outdoor space was relatively cheap, the City of San Rafael only charged $15K a year and wanted to renew. I read that the restaurant’s lease expires at the end of November and the landlord raised the rent. It now looks like it will be a Jeep dealer.

Bill, tgo
 #171961  by Jon S.

Jeep dealer? Pah. They could at least be selling Willys.
 #171966  by Smolder

It was a good run. If both sides had really wanted to continue, as they said, they would have found a way. There’s something we’re not hearing that caused this. I’d like to think it wasn’t greed.

That said, if it’s destine to be, they will find a new location and it will continue.