#171495  by TI4-1009

Well I'll be... So Queen wasn't the only band who stacked up unloaded cabs?! Gaelic Park.

They sure were purdy though.

(OK, I guess it was before Jerry cut down the Twin(s) and made them into heads.)
 #171503  by lbpesq

Many years ago some friends and I rented the showcase room in a local studio for a NYE party. Testament used the same studio and had their full rig set up on the stage. We’re talking a wall of Marshall 4x12s three cabs high and 5 or 6 across. Our agreement with my buddy who owned the place was that we would move the Testament gear into the storage room. When we went to move it, to our surprise we discovered that 75% of the cabs were empty! (and MUCH easier to move).

By the way, that Gaelic Park show was exactly 50 years ago today - 8/26/71. I was standing just outside the fence listening as we struck out on tickets.

Bill, tgo
TI4-1009 liked this
 #171505  by strumminsix

So I'm not surprised bands do this. Obviously. But I'm surprised the GD did this. Doing something for show was irregular for them. They most always seemed for be function over form, less the Nudie Suits. LOL!
 #171506  by lbpesq

strumminsix wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:49 am So I'm not surprised bands do this. Obviously. But I'm surprised the GD did this. Doing something for show was irregular for them. They most always seemed for be function over form, less the Nudie Suits. LOL!

If you look closely, the cabs are not empty, just sans speakers. The amps are still there, plugged in, and being used. Later, they either cut them down or replaced them with head-only cabs. I see this as evolutionary rather than stage trappings.

Bill, tgo
NeilG1, wabisabied liked this
 #171509  by Chocol8

Yes, those amps are either in use or on standby. The speakers were removed because they kept blowing the D130’s and started using external cabs that were easier to swap speakers in. Front loading and no tubes or transformers in the way makes things a LOT easier on the crew. Shortly after that, Jerry put both amp chassis into a single TR cabinet which he used up until the 90’s.
 #171510  by strumminsix

lbpesq wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:17 am
strumminsix wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:49 am So I'm not surprised bands do this. Obviously. But I'm surprised the GD did this. Doing something for show was irregular for them. They most always seemed for be function over form, less the Nudie Suits. LOL!

If you look closely, the cabs are not empty, just sans speakers. The amps are still there, plugged in, and being used. Later, they either cut them down or replaced them with head-only cabs. I see this as evolutionary rather than stage trappings.

Bill, tgo
ooh good eye!!