#170558  by nuthatchwinters

Just read of the latest business venture for what is called the Grateful Dead in 2021. I'm out. Done. This has become downright pathetic. Tragic. Completely and utterly antithetical to what this band created and represented throughout most of it's existence. I hate to use the dreaded phrase "what would Jerry do" but any serious Deadhead knows. Now all those polemicists out there will argue "but Jerry sold ties!! And ice cream! How can you say that?" The Ben and Jerry's partnership was a charitable enterprise and the ties were an artistic outlet for Garcia largely connected with charities close to him. Now it's Nike and Gucci and everything in between. Disgraceful.
 #170559  by Jon S.

While I understand your disappointment, may I respectfully submit for your consideration that were we to apply this same standard universally, who would be left standing?

My preference is to accept that we're all imperfect and be tolerant. I, for one, won't be buying the products you're concerned over. I'll separate the wheat from the chaff.
 #170563  by Jon S.

Damn - I was punked! Happy April Fools, y’all! :D
 #170569  by Jon S.

wabisabied wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:56 am “Lot chic.” Priceless.
I'm listening to one of your Soundcloud jams now (Misty Mountain Jungle Funk). I like it! It reminds me of early Jefferson Airplane.
wabisabied liked this
 #170570  by TI4-1009

Jon S. wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:26 am Damn - I was punked! Happy April Fools, y’all! :D
Got me too. Ha!
 #170572  by wabisabied

Jon S. wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:34 am I'm listening to one of your Soundcloud jams now (Misty Mountain Jungle Funk). I like it! It reminds me of early Jefferson Airplane.
Hey, thanks a lot, Jon. That’s one of those tracks where I started with drums (which are NOT my instrument) and just went from there, keeping it pretty simple, all in one night. Probably never played that jam again, but do play the drum beat some times. A friend of mine played it on his campus radio show in Eugene a few years ago, so at least I can say it got me on the radio!
Jon S. liked this
 #170579  by Jon S.

wabisabied wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:07 am BTW, @JonS, nice playing on your Shakedown and Saturday Night tracks!
You're too kind!
wabisabied liked this
 #172926  by nuthatchwinters

That's a good one actually. But in all seriousness, the Nike deal was too much for me so I would just redirect my argument basically saying the same thing. And all who enjoy the many recent business ventures that's perfectly fine, it's just not for me. And coming this summer, Grateful Dead salad greens!