#106309  by dleonard

I know it's non-Dead...but I've been digging playing Thrill is Gone recently
 #106814  by Octal

I've been digging "Don't Get Around Much Anymore" for the past few days. Leave a lot of holes for the vocal melody, and do the same thing for the solos: it works really well. It has a great melody, and is really fun to fool around with.
 #106817  by zambiland

The one I keep coming back to year after year is the Bach Cello Suites. Great for any instrument.

Also Steve Swallow's Falling Grace has offered hours of endless discovery.
 #106820  by WildEye

Revisiting Stagger Lee with enthusiasm. Just seems right for the holidays :D
 #119747  by bobbyo

Eyes is always great, I like to do this thing I'm pretty sure Ive heard the dead do on a few eyes in 73, Im pretty sure coltrane did this alot too, go up to the 3rd or G#m which is a very similar scale to emaj, but you can get a really dark minor sound that way and its an easy switch back to the emaj 7. He's Gone to other one I too have had fun with sometimes weve done a truckin shuffle jam in between as well as come out of other one to bird song or death dont have no mercy, smokestack lightning. Last time playing live we did birdsong>NFA>eyes(w emaj,bm,A on first inst. space, emaj, Bm on second and after last verse did the emaj to G#m and back and finished with the mind left body jam (A7,D,Dm,A7) but in E Hard to pick a fav but for me it would come down to eyes, bird song, or jam after scarlet
 #120019  by jenkins

Not sure if it's my favorite but morning dew is a sick tune, def was my favorite for a minute there.
I love singing it and the guitar parts are sick, the three note riff after the lyric is sick and then the end is the spot to rip an epic solo, some of Jerry's sickest solos were on this song.

Some of my all time favorites are new speedway, eyes obviously, the other one, Cumberland, deal

Lovelight has always been me, and the few bands I've been in favorite fall back rocker, that's always a fun song to jam and the crowd always loves it.

The GD has just so many completely epic tunes it's ridiculous. It's gotta be the only band in the world that I like LOVE every single song.
 #120024  by Dwarf Rat

Bird Song.

Saturday at rehearsal I decided to play I Know You Rider in 3/4. Halfway through the song we switched to maj7 chords. It opened up a third ear in our collective brain.
 #120349  by flavaham

Right now it's gotta be Scarlet->Fire. So many ways to go with that jam.

Also, Bird Song -> New Speedway is something I stumbled across. You can use the main riff from Bird Song to morph right into it. Really cool!!
 #120354  by Lephty

I've been having a lot of fun with the solo sections of Missin' Hippie Half Step. It's kind of a challenge because you can't just blow a single scale/mode over the whole thing...in fact, you kind of have to follow all of the chords, almost like you're playing a jazz tune. But the chords flow together very naturally, and there are a lot of great melodies in there.

FYI I'm pretty sure the progression for the solo section is:
| Am | E | G | D | F | Dm | B7 | E |
| Am | E | G | D | F | Am | D7 | G |

(apparently I have graduated to "Vince"!)
 #120393  by Pete B.

Lephty wrote:I've been having a lot of fun with the solo sections of Missin' Hippie Half Step. It's kind of a challenge because you can't just blow a single scale/mode over the whole thing...in fact, you kind of have to follow all of the chords, almost like you're playing a jazz tune. But the chords flow together very naturally, and there are a lot of great melodies in there.

FYI I'm pretty sure the progression for the solo section is:
| Am | E | G | D | F | Dm | B7 | E |
| Am | E | G | D | F | Am | D7 | G |

(apparently I have graduated to "Vince"!)
One of my faves to jam on, too....
I did a few vids on this tune a while back.
I'm not sure what you mean by this part of the solo chords | Am | E | G | D |.
I usually just play the Am walkdown ala the intro, only I hang twice as long on each half-step for the solo section (some will also say there's no Dm, just F).
Here's a few thoughts I had:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlDHYBq ... ture=g-upl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfmokcF ... ture=g-upl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnomJd1 ... ture=g-upl
 #120396  by Tennessee Jedi

Pete B. wrote: (some will also say there's no Dm, just F).
I always play off a Dm chord there
F///Dm///B7///E7
:?:
F and Dm are two closely related chords .....
The Dm sounds right when i have backed up others ....
Yeah man -love your vids !
- Tom