#174488  by TI4-1009

There has to more here than meets the eye...
strumminsix liked this
 #174489  by Jon S.

I have no inside knowledge of the situation but from my experience with bands, generally, the personal relationship equivalent expression would be, "No matter how beautiful she is, some guy, somewhere, is sick and tired of her bullshit." (Which can be expressed equally well as, "No matter how handsome he is, some gal, somewhere, is sick and tired of his bullshit." ;) )
 #174511  by TI4-1009

I watched the Barton Hall show last night, really enjoyed it. I didn't notice any slow pace issues (but then I'm 73 and might be oblivious to it...).

My wife was at the 77 show, she said "it looked a lot different".

Morning Dew was jaw dropping, followed by a Terrapin "encore".
Gr8fulCadi liked this
 #174513  by Jon S.

My friend Mark also attended the Barton Hall show. He raved to me on how excellent it was - and he's been to very many actual Grateful Dead shows. (I would have liked to have gone to the show, too, but that would have been kinda hard being I'm in Tel Aviv for the month :lol: ).
 #174515  by strumminsix

Just listened to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3MuAfFk0sY

No offense to BK, but think Lane is adding something that was missing. Songs are faster than before and the drums have an attack vs trudge...

I'm curious what more will come of this....

Notably: Scarlet Begonias is slower, but the way he's enunciated Hunter's poetic lyrics is giving me chills.
 #174516  by TI4-1009

Just a wild guess, but wondering if that might be related to the "creative differences"?

I hope not, but.....
 #174517  by NeilG1

i also thought this was the best i've heard them sound.

from a reliable source i hear that D&C wanted to bring in a third drummer and Billy said no thank you.
 #174518  by TI4-1009

NeilG1 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:26 am i also thought this was the best i've heard them sound.

from a reliable source i hear that D&C wanted to bring in a third drummer and Billy said no thank you.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
 #174524  by playingdead

Billy K has nothing to do with the lack of tempo, I caught their 2.5 hour set at JazzFest last Saturday in New Orleans and it was languid and extremely low energy. Probably the slowest PITB in history. Ponderous Trucking opener. Aside from a couple of early moments during Cumberland and Shakedown where JM and Chimenti were sparking off each other during the jams, the (huge) crowd was barely moving. It wasn't the heat, either, it rained most of the day (cleared up for the show) and it was actually cool and comfortable in the low 70s and breezy. Every other act at the main stage (and all the other various stages and tents) brought their A game and the crowds were super into it all four days. Santana, Jon Batiste and Trombone Shorty headlined the other three nights at the main stage and the place was rocking despite the heat and humidity.

What I've heard of Cornell sounded much better and lively but JazzFest was a dud in comparison.
 #174546  by hotasaPistol

They didn't mis a Beat with out Billy

Good shows
some different arrangements................ Check out a jam in St Stephen after the first verse.....Big STeve Parish joined in on the drums for the second night

Did Billy kill the Rhythm Devils???

Varying tempos.......I look at the different tempos between different eras( that cant realistically be compared) as the difference between having sex when I was in my teens and twenty's and could fuck like a rabbit all night long and now being 70 I can still fuck but maybe not as often or as fast but it still feels pretty damn good.....as being in the moment and enjoying the ride because you never know how much longer you got

I guess that's what I don't understand about all the haters .....its being in the moment and going to hell in a bucket because at least I'm enjoying the ride

and yall are missing some really good music that has an expiration date.....to see live and in the moment

to quote Jnin mitchell : You don t know what you got till its gone.....

Flame away :musicsmile: :musicsmile: :musicsmile:
 #174559  by lbpesq

A friend sent me a video from last weekend in Los Angeles of "The Other One-Part 1". Slowest Other One I've ever heard. No disparagement to D&C. They are an excellent Dead cover band that chooses to slow down most of the catalog. But personally, I'd rather play the tunes myself, (like last night's jam I attended), or see other Dead cover bands in MUCH smaller venues. I'm just not into spending a few hundred dollars to get packed into a baseball stadium to watch Bobby Weir sit in with a cover band.

Bill, tgo
 #174561  by Jon S.

“No one goes to D&C shows anymore - they’re too crowded.”

Apologies to Yogi Berra
lbpesq, ssmug liked this
 #174563  by ebick

hotasaPistol wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:47 pm They didn't mis a Beat with out Billy

Good shows
some different arrangements................ Check out a jam in St Stephen after the first verse.....Big STeve Parish joined in on the drums for the second night

Did Billy kill the Rhythm Devils???

Varying tempos.......I look at the different tempos between different eras( that cant realistically be compared) as the difference between having sex when I was in my teens and twenty's and could fuck like a rabbit all night long and now being 70 I can still fuck but maybe not as often or as fast but it still feels pretty damn good.....as being in the moment and enjoying the ride because you never know how much longer you got

I guess that's what I don't understand about all the haters .....its being in the moment and going to hell in a bucket because at least I'm enjoying the ride

and yall are missing some really good music that has an expiration date.....to see live and in the moment

to quote Jnin mitchell : You don t know what you got till its gone.....

Flame away :musicsmile: :musicsmile: :musicsmile:
I'll be going to at least one of the Saratoga shows. I had previously decided to opt out of D&C because I just didn't enjoy the music at the slow tempos, but this show has some special meaning and for me it's going to be more about a reunion with some friends.

My opinion about the slow downs......1) Does it need to be every song? I have applied the slow down to some songs (GD or otherwise), so I get the premise, but it's not something I think should be unilaterally applied. 2) you mentioned Hell In A Bucket. Dear lord, I hope they don't play that one. I saw it in Orlando a few years back. Going back to #1 above, the slow down makes this a completely different song, and one I have no interest in hearing.

I'll enjoy myself, no doubt, but only because I go in accepting that it will be what it will be.