Talk about the recent Tours
 #49357  by heavynylon

After a hell week at work, today seems lind of slow and my mind keeps wandering. So, since there seems to be some interest in another DSO thread I might as well give a review of Grateful Fest. I'll try to keep any negative sarcasm to a minimum and I will mention the beer.

So, two weeks ago I made the trek up to Ohio. This was my first camping festival. Initially, I was reluctant to go, since it brought back all thouse memories of Cub Scout campouts that are long since past. But this turned out to be really good. It was the perfect size festival for me. Not too big; not too small. And all the folks I met were pretty dang nice.

The camp ground was pretty good. We chose a spot by the woods, which turned out to be a smart decision. I really don't care much for the portopotties. Having the woods near by provided a nice alternative in the middle of the night.

One thing about this campground, though, is at night it is very dark. If I had not had a flashlight with me, I don't think I could have found my tent after the show.

We came prepared to cook all our meals at the campsite, which turned out to be a good thing. The lines seemed pretty long and the choices seemed somewhat limited at the food vendors. We were able to eat well and stay close to my diet.

Now the beer is a different story. Since the campground does not allow glass, that severely limited our choice in beer. I don't know why all the really good ales only come in bottles. So, we got some of those beers in cans with CO2 things. Then we brought a reserve of the normal canned beer for when that ran out.

While I'm on the subject of beer, this was my first return to Ohio in about 10 years. And I discovered that my favorite brewery in the world, Hoster's Brewing Company, is no longer in business. Bummer. I have never tasted and amber ale like the ones they used to make. Oh well.

About the bands, DSO played 3 sets. One from 1988. one from 1977, and an original setlist. Of the three, the '77 was the best. The band was tight and Donna Jean came on, alternating songs the the DSO Donna. Even though I think the DSO Donna is a better singer, it was nice to see DJ out there. There closed that set with a Terrapin and Morning Dew that I think are the best I have ever heard.

Thoughout the whole festival, with all the drumming circles and stoned people, I kept thinking of the South Park jam festival episode, I would just burst out laughing. Couldn't help it.

Anyway, it was a blast. I'm glad I went. And I'll probably go next year.

Cheers,

HN

#49360  by weirimpressed

whats going on heavynylon,

I like the way you ended that review with the South Park episode, definitely explains the music festival scene to the tee

Do you know what show they did from '77? Every time I have seen them, I've luckily got a show from the seventies (except for when they did a bunch of beatles cover the last time they went through Atlanta :? ) Im always really impressed by how spot-on they are.

As far as the glass bottles go, from my experience, as long as you have them down below all your other gear and arent breaking them everywhere, you should be good. But just in case, bring the Newcastle cans!

Take it easy, glad to hear the festival was a positive experience.