Talk about the recent Tours
 #144286  by pablomago

Part of me would love to be there, but reality prevents me from being there. Medical issues and no desire to be in a mob scene. My last Dead show was the old McNichols Arena in Denver and I'd rather live with that memory.

But streaming or a DVD sounds great. For me the appropriate ending would be a stealth show in Golden Gate Park, but that's pretty unlikely.

I'm OK with Trey. Remember that he's a vocalist as well. It sounds like a good way to celebrate the 50th Anniversary. It's what we have.
 #144293  by Smolder

pablomago wrote:Part of me would love to be there, but reality prevents me from being there. Medical issues and no desire to be in a mob scene. My last Dead show was the old McNichols Arena in Denver and I'd rather live with that memory.

But streaming or a DVD sounds great. For me the appropriate ending would be a stealth show in Golden Gate Park, but that's pretty unlikely.

I'm OK with Trey. Remember that he's a vocalist as well. It sounds like a good way to celebrate the 50th Anniversary. It's what we have.

Pablomago, I was at all of the McNichols shows... I ran into (literally) Bill Walton on thy he main floor. He was a little hard to miss, but I managed to not see him as I turned the corner.
 #144295  by wfrobinette

James-T wrote:I saw on FB that someone said the youtube envelope instructions had 55,000 views by the first day to mail in. I was not one of those views and I mailed in.

It's not scientific, but it is a good indication that a lot of us mailed in. I colored mine out of a faint hope the coloring gods would intervene and catch someone's eye.

Like how do you do a lottery with 55,000 envelopes? It's not the lotto with an attractive model reading off numbered golf balls dropping out of a machine, nor will it be computerized random code generator. I'm not sure they thought this one through, and no doubt it being the corporate world they will owe tickets to Ticketmaster, press, family, and of course Stubhub - who is probably secretly owned by Ticketmaster. :shock:

Peace,

James
Stubhub was/is owned by ebay. From what I understand from back in the day.

1. If you were local you usually were selected and got decent seats.(Probably not in play here)
2. All others went into a pile and were selected until no tix were available. That's why you need multiple MOs to cover options.

Frankly this will be a crap shoot just like online sales.
 #144298  by dleonard

What are the odds of being notified of your ticket status by the Ticketmaster sale date?
 #144329  by James-T

Is anyone else hearing some serious rumblings - rumours - of added shows, potentially on the West Coast? Mine are coming from connected folks.

...and yep, its a crap shoot for sure - but if you are loaded there will be seats on Stubhub. Already are I'm sure. And on Ticket Nation. Speaking of which, a buddy got burned in Seattle with a counterfeit ticket bought from Stubhub for SCI two weekends ago. Buyer be ware.

Peace,

James
 #144336  by dleonard

James-T wrote:Is anyone else hearing some serious rumblings - rumours - of added shows, potentially on the West Coast? Mine are coming from connected folks.
Boy I'd really feel like a sucker if this is true.
 #144337  by phpbb

dleonard wrote:
James-T wrote:Is anyone else hearing some serious rumblings - rumours - of added shows, potentially on the West Coast? Mine are coming from connected folks.
Boy I'd really feel like a sucker if this is true.
Bob certainly does not disqualify that possibility in this article: http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/ ... -interview

"The big question about these so-called "final shows" is will the Dead ever play together again? "We'll see," Weir says. "I've got some miles left in me, but I'm sure everybody does. I'm the youngest of the guys.""
 #144340  by Smolder

I'll go a step further (no pun intended) and say I'll be shocked if there isn't a derivation of that line up playing both coasts before this is over. Especially given the ticket demand at Soldiers. And, I'll bet there is a short notice free show at GGP.
 #144355  by strumminsix

Not to be too logical/downer but part of this is also around promoters and insurance and risk analysis and other business factors.

I'd be HIGHLY surprised if the core, under the name Grateful Dead or any variant, played additional shows this year. Due to their ages and illnesses getting this gig insured was a nightmare. And it took a lot for the agents and promoters. Personally, I'll always think that is a big part of the reason Trey was asked.

Yes, I do think they'll likely all play together again in some capacity from time to time and hope they do but I would be surprised if for this year, under this moniker if they even legally could.
 #144359  by jkstraw

Poor Peter wrote:Rumor has it rejection notices for mailorder are already starting to trickle in. Anyone?
Yes - there are a few pics posted on the "50th Grateful Dead Anniversary" facebook group and also on reddit/r/gratefuldead

:cry:
 #144360  by hippieguy1954

For me, ya can call it whatever...Furthur, Phil and Friends, The Dead, etc.(which I've seen numerous times and loved them all), but it is not and never will be The Grateful Dead without Jerry Garcia at the helm.
 #144365  by gr8fullfred

If you remove Billy from the mix, there is no reason that the rest of em can't play together.

English to English translation:

"The last time the core four will play together"

Translation:
"We convinced Billy (and paid him enough) to stomach playing a few shows with the rest of us"

By simply using the phrase "the last time the core four will play together" you create a larger than necessary demand for tickets, and possibly create a dangerous situation in Chicago. The situation could easily develop where there are more people WITHOUT tickets at the venue, than WITH tickets. Potentially a bad situation.

No good reason for the "last time ever" BS, could have easily said " We are getting together for the 4th of July as part of the 50th anniversary of the Grateful Dead Celebration."

Just think, what if the shows are really really great. What if Billy likes playing with the Boys? Do they become liars if they do show in SF in the fall?
 #144366  by jefkahn

Don't get me wrong, I want to see at least one of these shows.

But let's not overhype what this is. This is basically three shows by The Other Ones. This is not the Grateful Dead.