Chat about Equipment Info
 #172499  by bzbz

My glaring gap in gear is that I do not use a powered pedalboard, what do you folks use? What are its pros and cons?

My pedals are always changing, so that has held me back....
 #172500  by lbpesq

My pedal-board has gone through many changes. Presently, I am using a Pedaltrain Nano+ with mostly mini size pedals. When I used a large board, my favorite, by far, was a Temple Audio board with their clever thumbscrew mounting system.

If you want to change pedals often, and/or move them around in order, I suggest using 3M Dual Lock to mount the pedals. It acts similar to Velcro, but is far more stable and has better adhesive, in my experience.

As for power, I tried to do it on battery power, using either the Pedaltrain Volto, or the Sanyo Eneloop Pedal Juice. Neither lasted long enough to get me though a three hour session. Currently I am using a relatively cheap Rowin mini power supply that is working out for me just fine. Eight outlets, each 9v 300mA. Below is a link.

Bill, tgo

https://reverb.com/item/35500601-rowin- ... ects-pedal
 #172501  by Jon S.

A picture's worth a thousand words. Feel free to respond with any questions you may have about it.

#172502  by Jon S.

bzbz wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:35 pmMy pedals are always changing
That's why humans invented velcro and dual lock. :wink:
 #172503  by KHotchkin

I've never gotten any static or problems from these VooDoo "Pedal Power" supply boxes, although I don't keep them under my board like most ppl do. All the pedals I own are standard 9v stuff.

In hindsight, I would've splurged more on a better envelope filter (Mu-tron) and skipped on some other stuff that I never use. It's more pedals than I need. The main thing is the JHS overdrive, and I have a "boost" running into it to give it even more distortion if necessary. Meaning that cheap Chinese Joyo tube-screamer is just a total waste, never use it.

The little line-splitter and buffer box at the end of the line has been super useful.
 #172504  by lbpesq

Another thing to consider. Since my new Quilter Aviator Mach 3 allows me to turn the effects loop on/off with a foot-switch, I’ve been experimenting with moving some of my pedals into the effects loop.

Bill, tgo
 #172505  by strumminsix

As folks think power, y'all as need to understand your voltages and mA draws and connectors. It takes a bit of work.

As an example I have some high draw pedals. Were fine til I added just 2 more pedal, then shit stopped working and got noisy.

I'm running CIOKS power now and HIGHLY satisfied with their ability to run a high draw board without falter or fail.

Link to board: https://photos.app.goo.gl/TZru1ZMYGT2fLojz8

that MXR revierb is a power HOG so's the Glass-A. Nice setup to just plop down, run an XLR to FOH, take a monitor feed for IEM, run a snake cable up to my guitar and IEM, and ready to rock in minutes...
lbpesq wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:53 pm Another thing to consider. Since my new Quilter Aviator Mach 3 allows me to turn the effects loop on/off with a foot-switch, I’ve been experimenting with moving some of my pedals into the effects loop.

Bill, tgo
Do they should better there? I've done the whole 4CM pre effects, post effects, etc, etc... At the end I never found anything better in the effects loop only different. And yes, different could be preferred. But for me it was a lot of cabling and hassle for no reward. YMMV.
 #172506  by Gr8fulCadi

The only time I run a 4 cable method is with my Mesa Mark V or Friedman Runt 20 when the amp supplies its own heavy overdrive/distortion and not using OD pedals. Chorus, Reverb and delay pedals then go in my effects loop.

When using amps for clean only or the overdrive/distortion is being supplied by pedals, then the effects loop is not worth the extra cables and makes less of a difference from my experience.

If your using an EQ or clean boost for a volume increase and not for overdrive, providing your amp has enough headroom then those pedals work better in the effects loop regardless of overdrive etc.
 #172508  by lbpesq

Pedals like chorus, reverb, delay, phase shifter, work really well in the effects loop. Pedals like boosts and distortions not so much. Currently, I have a Pedaltrain Nano with delay, chorus, volume swell and Hotone Xtomp (great easily programmable pedal with hundreds of choices) in the loop. They sit at the amp, not at my feet. I can turn any of the pedals on prior to the song and then move them in and out of the signal with the Quilter foot-switch. Just experimenting with this for now. I'm not sure if I want to carry this to a gig or to a jam outside my studio.

Bill, tgo
 #172509  by Gr8fulCadi

Clean boosts or an EQ boost works exceptionally well in an effects loop, with tube amps they do anyways. It’s how you can achieve a “clean boost” in volume without pushing the preamp section to overdrive.
 #172510  by strumminsix

For the avoidance of doubt; I was talking my experience. Found no benefit and hassle of cabling, setup, more points of potential failure, etc..

But totally recognize that people can achieve things sonically that they couldn't before and it makes them happy and motivates to play.

I cut my teeth on cheap amps w/o effects loops then vintage Fenders... And well, some of my favorite albums and performances of all time had all the fx running pre amp :) so maybe my ears just associate that with how I wanna sound :) :-?
 #172511  by Jon S.

Having a proper order of effects has, for me, been more important to getting good sounds than whether they're placed in the loop or in front of the preamp. This being said, putting your clean boost in the loop may be the ticket.
 #172513  by lbpesq

Jon S. wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:55 am This being said, putting your clean boost in the loop may be the ticket.

Oh great ... now something else I have to try!

Bill, tgo
 #172514  by Jon S.

I sometimes run a clean boost in the effects loop of my Orange 35RT combo if I want the cleanest possible boost option. Normally, though, it stays on all the time. I.e., I'm doing it for the overall tonal impacts, not to use as a footswitchable clean boost on the fly.
 #172515  by lbpesq

I just stumbled onto this product from 3M that looks like it would do a great job of taming/organizing the cables underneath a pedal-board. I pulled the trigger and it should arrive tomorrow. Anyone else ever tried these?

Bill, tgo

https://www.amazon.com/Adhesive-Managem ... 207&sr=8-3