Chat about Equipment Info
 #163815  by 19deadhead65

Hi everybody so I am in need of some rig input, on what I could change or add! All comments are appreciated! So I have a Modded HSH squire strat, and a 67 sg special, then for pedals (in this order) Dunlop crybaby wah, qtron+, JHS little black buffer, soul food (for clean boost), 79 phase 100, dd-3. Then my amp is a fully reserviced 78 deluxe reverb into a 2x12 jbl d-120f cab. What do you think? I am planning on buying an alembic blaster for the strat but have yet to do so.
 #163819  by 19deadhead65

Matt, the buffer is third because I read it's best to go after envelope, but if that's incorrect what should I do? And I cannot Post a clip, sorry.
 #163820  by Bigfoot Co.

Speaker ohm? Wired in series or parallel? Stock transformer in the amp?

Asking because I’m curious about how you are running those 2 speakers off that amp. Stock DR transformer will want to see an 8 ohm load. Stock jbls are 8 ohm. So your two speakers wired parallel = 4ohm, wired series = 16ohm. As I understand it, Some Ohm mismatch is generally ok with fender amps. Some people even prefer it. but in this case I would think that it would be a detriment due to the DRs inherently low power rating. In short, a pair of JBLs will want to see Way more juice coming from the amp. I’d think you’d be better off putting One of the JBLs in the DR cabinet.

And try the buffer first.
 #163821  by 19deadhead65

I run them parallel, It is the stock transformer. Why do you think i should just run one JBL? What would I benefit from it? Should i run it in a 1x12 extension cab? the current speaker in my DR is an Eminence Cannabis Rex, but i bypass that for the Jerry tone.
 #163822  by 19deadhead65

Bigfoot Co. wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:16 am Speaker ohm? Wired in series or parallel? Stock transformer in the amp?

Asking because I’m curious about how you are running those 2 speakers off that amp. Stock DR transformer will want to see an 8 ohm load. Stock jbls are 8 ohm. So your two speakers wired parallel = 4ohm, wired series = 16ohm. As I understand it, Some Ohm mismatch is generally ok with fender amps. Some people even prefer it. but in this case I would think that it would be a detriment due to the DRs inherently low power rating. In short, a pair of JBLs will want to see Way more juice coming from the amp. I’d think you’d be better off putting One of the JBLs in the DR cabinet.

And try the buffer first.

Also the ohm for the JBLs 8.
 #163826  by Bigfoot Co.

19deadhead65 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:55 am I run them parallel, It is the stock transformer. Why do you think i should just run one JBL? What would I benefit from it? Should i run it in a 1x12 extension cab? the current speaker in my DR is an Eminence Cannabis Rex, but i bypass that for the Jerry tone.
I would replace the rex with one of the jbls. My opinion is that the DR by design will be happiest and perform its best when seeing the correct 8ohm load. By running it to the cab with a 4ohm load, you are asking it to do something it was not designed to do. When you are starting with only 22 Watts, IMO this matters.

If you want or need to run the 2x12 cab, get a fender amp that’s up to the task. Something with a 4 ohm trSnsformer, like a bandmaster reverb, bassman, showman, twin in a head etc..
MikeMcA and 1 others liked this
 #163827  by PaulJay

I would think the buffer pedal should be first inline to push your signal thru the chain. The q Tyron will react better that way too.