Chat about Equipment Info
 #118600  by Atk1

Found a CL post for a SF Twin with JBL D120's. Guy is asking $900. No pics and that all the info I got so far. He's local so I'm interested in seeing it. I'm looking, like a lot of people, for that wonderful Jerry tone. Does this sound like its worth checking out?
 #118603  by Smolder

I've bought three twins in various stages of disrepair in the last year (disclaimer: have one for sale). They are a great value and under priced right now because of size and volume. They are the easiest and cheapest way to get where you're headed.

Things to look out for... late and post '76 twins have the ultralinear transformers which are not what Jerry was using and present some problems in blackfacing. I've read posts here that claim some have figured out how to make them work, but I've personally never hear done.

The master volumes post late '72 are awful, but changing them to a post phase inverter master (PPIMV) is not difficult. Also the pull boost on the later models can be resolved by not using it or removal.

At that price, if you're looking at an early 70's twin, and the jbl's are good, you've got a solid deal. If they are K120 or D120 and haven't been re-cede... even better. Best of luck.
 #118605  by Atk1

Thank you. The guy says he thinks it's a 74. Sending pics shortly. I know virtually nothing about the tech aspect to all this. Just started picking up info from this sight. So far it's been real helpful.
 #118784  by Mosfed

I think it's a fine deal. Not amazing but just fine.
 #118792  by Atk1

Just got the pics. The d120's have orange frames. And there's a white stamp on the speaker: 23 012. Are these authentic?
 #118797  by Smolder

Atk1 wrote:Just got the pics. The d120's have orange frames. And there's a white stamp on the speaker: 23 012. Are these authentic?
probably original cones. those are both good indicators.
 #118801  by hippieguy1954

It's a good price. Figure $600 for the amp (going price lately) and $300 for the speakers. That's about right as long as the speakers are good and need no work.