Chat about Equipment Info
 #107277  by Grateful Dad

So I took back a new Fender Blues Junior to where I bought it from (cause it was a lemon) and received full store credit towards the purchase of another amp. With the store credit and some extra cash to upgrade my amp they have in my price range they have the 65 Twin Reissue, the Hot Rod DeVille (2x12) and the Egnater Renegade (2x12). The Marshalls and Peaveys at the store just don't do it for me...

I think I'm going to go for the Twin. I like the features on the Egnater but the sound from the Twin beats it. The only drawback from the Twin is that you can't switch channels without unplugging and plugging back in (unless there is some aftermarket footswitch or mod to the amp that will allow you to do so). But the tone from the Twin is unbeatable among my choices.

Thoughts? Advice? Experiences?

Thanks and Happy New Year to all!

:smile: :smile:
 #107278  by playingdead

Are you playing out at all? The Twin is a very loud amp and needs to be turned up to perform well, in my experience. Not the best choice for practicing in a small room.

If you're not playing out, I'd at least consider a smaller Fender amp like a Deluxe reissue or a Vibrolux, same great Fender tone but a little lighter, smaller and more manageable at lower volumes. The Deluxe is a very sweet amp with great reverb and you can overdrive it a little without splitting your eardrums. The Vibrolux is like a little Twin. I still have my Vibrolux, but I would choose a Deluxe if I were buying a new Fender amp and not gigging with it. At that $1200-1300 price point, there are some nice boutique amps you can step into pre-owned, too ... check The Gear Page classifieds, always something interesting there. That won't help you with your store credit, though.

The low-line Egnater stuff is good but it's produced in China; the Egnater preamp I used to use was made by Bruce here in the US.
 #107281  by Grateful Dad

Hey playingdead! Thanks for the reply.

I have a Fender Princeton I use for a "bedroom tone/practice amp".

I will be doing gigs soon so I want the headroom for playing out.

This is my chance to upgrade now because we're redoing our den into a family room w/carpet, furniture, LED tv, etc.

:smile:
 #107283  by jackr

What is your budget?

Check out the Mesa Transatlantic. It is small but can be VERY loud. Great tone too.

BTW, I love my blues junior. What made yours a "lemon"?
 #107286  by Grateful Dad

jackr wrote:What is your budget?

Check out the Mesa Transatlantic. It is small but can be VERY loud. Great tone too.

BTW, I love my blues junior. What made yours a "lemon"?
My budget $1,000.00 to $1,400.00 and about $600.00 of that is store credit from returning the Blues Junior which had tube problems, power problems, reverb problems, and at one point it sonded like a transistor radio when turned up over 4 or 5. Basically it was in the shop more than it was played. Being a showroom model it most likely got dogged around alot before I took it home.

Now my needs have changed and I need a decent amp to gig with.
 #107288  by Stone

Id look at Deluxe Reverb or something similar if you plan on playing on small stages. With that budget you should be able to score a case for it also. Personally there's so much barely used gear it kills me to take a hit buying stuff in the store. Some of the small Vox amps are great amps for the money also. Good luck.
 #107320  by hippieguy1954

Why won't the music store give you your money back??? I'd beg for my money back, buy a SMS classic Jerry pre amp, buy a good power amp, buy a cab (good ones are available for $275) and put two E120's in it and wahlah! The whole set up (minus effects) would be around $2000.
:smile: :smile: :smile: