#93761  by Emoto

strumminsix wrote:I've played this only in A per the request of a keyboardist who sang it so didn't know the real key :)

I was just speaking to voicing and the order in which the notes are plucked - hence the inversion!
That's cool. the correct voicing for this song is what I am after; I can always move it around on the neck if need be.
 #93794  by Billbbill

mostly 7th's and 7/9's
Code: Select all
  C7/9         C7
e-3----------0--8-----
b-3---8------1--8-----
g-3---7------3--9---9-
d-2---8------2--8---8-
a-3---7------3--10--7--
e-----8---------8---8--

F7/9    
e-8----
b-8---
g-8---
d-7---
a-8--
e---

G7/9
e-10---
b-10---
g-10---
d-9--
a-10--
e---
 #93806  by strumminsix

Tennessee Jedi wrote:
strumminsix wrote:I've played this only in A per the request of a keyboardist who sang it so didn't know the real key :)

I was just speaking to voicing and the order in which the notes are plucked - hence the inversion!
See that ?
I have learned something new today
:smile:

:-)
 #93839  by Emoto

Billbbill wrote:mostly 7th's and 7/9's
  C7/9         C7
e-3----------0--8-----
b-3---8------1--8-----
g-3---7------3--9---9-
d-2---8------2--8---8-
a-3---7------3--10--7--
e-----8---------8---8--

F7/9    
e-8----
b-8---
g-8---
d-7---
a-8--
e---

G7/9
e-10---
b-10---
g-10---
d-9--
a-10--
e---

Thanks for taking the time to post those! But, do you honestly hear any of those as the chords under the sung verses on the studio album?
 #93855  by Billbbill

Emoto wrote:
  C7/9         C7
e-3----------0--8-----
b-3---8------1--8-----
g-3---7------3--9---9-
d-2---8------2--8---8-
a-3---7------3--10--7--
e-----8---------8---8--

F7/9    
e-8----
b-8---
g-8---
d-7---
a-8--
e---

G7/9
e-10---
b-10---
g-10---
d-9--
a-10--
e---

Thanks for taking the time to post those! But, do you honestly hear any of those as the chords under the sung verses on the studio album?
Sorry man - I know your original post noted the studio version - don't know if I've ever heard it! What I posted is strictly live - I should have clarified. My bad. I should say I'd be somewhat surprised if it was significantly different.
 #93857  by Emoto

Billbbill wrote:
Emoto wrote:
  C7/9         C7
e-3----------0--8-----
b-3---8------1--8-----
g-3---7------3--9---9-
d-2---8------2--8---8-
a-3---7------3--10--7--
e-----8---------8---8--

F7/9    
e-8----
b-8---
g-8---
d-7---
a-8--
e---

G7/9
e-10---
b-10---
g-10---
d-9--
a-10--
e---

Sorry man - I know your original post noted the studio version - don't know if I've ever heard it! What I posted is strictly live - I should have clarified. My bad. I should say I'd be somewhat surprised if it was significantly different.
Oh, no worries. I'll probably end up using what you suggest. I just can't seem to get anything to "click" in my head to where I say to myself "yup, that's it!" if you know what I mean. It may be me that's the problem. :lol:
 #93948  by ronster

I alternate between what Bill does and barre chords like this

E|-----------------------------------------------
B|--5-----------------------------------5--5--5--
G|--5------------5--5------------------5--5--5--
D|--5-------5h7--------8--7--5--------5--5--7--5--
A|-----6h7-----------------------6h7--------------
E|-----------------------------------------------

just moved it to the 10th fret for the F and 12th fret for the G

Love those Garcia band tunes
 #93950  by jester536

Sorry no info on chord forms...just a little surprised that so many are unaware of the studio version. I know we like the live stuff but..Compliments is a great album. I think I remember hearing that they were all tunes selected by John Kahn...great Motown stuff...Fantastic version of That's What Love...as well as Let it Rock and Hunter Gets Catured by the Game.. if memory serves...and the list goes on and on. If you don't have this album you should get it...I think there is a new release with additional tunes. Now that I think of it I should get that one.
 #93954  by tigerstrat

jester536 wrote:Sorry no info on chord forms...just a little surprised that so many are unaware of the studio version. I know we like the live stuff but..Compliments is a great album. I think I remember hearing that they were all tunes selected by John Kahn...great Motown stuff...Fantastic version of That's What Love...as well as Let it Rock and Hunter Gets Catured by the Game.. if memory serves...and the list goes on and on. If you don't have this album you should get it...I think there is a new release with additional tunes. Now that I think of it I should get that one.
It's just that the studio albums are so sterile sounding for the most part, w/o the live magical moments. For a hot TWLWMYD, I always think of the monstrous versions from 11/10/81 (can't remember if its Late or Early)
 #93959  by tcsned

jester536 wrote:Sorry no info on chord forms...just a little surprised that so many are unaware of the studio version. I know we like the live stuff but..Compliments is a great album. I think I remember hearing that they were all tunes selected by John Kahn...great Motown stuff...Fantastic version of That's What Love...as well as Let it Rock and Hunter Gets Catured by the Game.. if memory serves...and the list goes on and on. If you don't have this album you should get it...I think there is a new release with additional tunes. Now that I think of it I should get that one.
Agreed, that's a great record - not a big fan of the version of "Let's Spend the Night Together" but otherwise I think Compliments is one of his better vocal efforts studio or live. Larry Carlton played some guitar on it too. I've done "What Goes Around" from this record.

I know that a lot of folks don't like the studio stuff but I do. They're a different animal than a live show but the good ones show a side of their musicianship that we don't get in a live show or recording. I am more of a fan of the stuff that isn't trying to sound like they do on stage. In the Dark and Built to Last just seemed like overly sterile live shows. Also an early recording of Wolf in action. Compliments & Cats are my two favorite Jerry solo records.
 #93961  by Billbbill

tigerstrat wrote:
It's just that the studio albums are so sterile sounding for the most part, w/o the live magical moments. For a hot TWLWMYD, I always think of the monstrous versions from 11/10/81 (can't remember if its Late or Early)
+1
Live gd music is what got me hooked - whether being there or recorded. It's the continual changing, the "what's next" and "will it blow me away or not." The studio recordings, generally - while often nice and pleasuable in their own way - never seem take me away for a ride (though with some notable exceptions), and THAT'S what it's all about for me. There's no "what's next" for a studio version - if it's good I'll listen to it repeatedly I suppose, as I would a good live version - if it's not I'll likely listen once and be done with it as I would a mediocre live rendition. There was (almost) always another live version of a particular tune to look forward to and anticipate - only one shot with the studio stuff.

Maybe I'm overstating this a bit - I'd hate to sound like a live music snob - it's all good!
 #94041  by Pete B.

Guys,
I listened to that album with TWLWMYD yesterday.
Yer Crazy!
This thing sounds killer... right from the Train Whistle blows at the beginning of Let it Rock, thru the cool outro on Let's Spend the Night Together (he kinda loses me on the really slow ones at the end of this album).
'A great listen with a ton of in yer face Jerry G. singing and playing.
I'd label it as instructional "requied listening" for anybody who wants to hear "what it's supposed to sound like".

A better question might be...
What chord forms does he use in the intro to He Ain't Give You None?
 #94044  by tcsned

Pete B. wrote:Guys,
I listened to that album with TWLWMYD yesterday.
Yer Crazy!
This thing sounds killer... right from the Train Whistle blows at the beginning of Let it Rock, thru the cool outro on Let's Spend the Night Together (he kinda loses me on the really slow ones at the end of this album).
'A great listen with a ton of in yer face Jerry G. singing and playing.
I'd label it as instructional "requied listening" for anybody who wants to hear "what it's supposed to sound like".

A better question might be...
What chord forms does he use in the intro to He Ain't Give You None?
+1
I can't of a better vocal performance live or studio. I really got hooked on this one in 1984 when I found the record in the cut-out bin of a college record store before I had access to a lot of live tapes. Jerry was "on" for this one. Also an early recording in the studio of Wolf. I do understand the live/studio preference as I am a live music junkie. But the live recordings are still recordings and not the same as being there, though I like them and listen to more live recordings than studio. The Dead did some weak studio recordings especially in the Arista years but they also did some really good ones and "Compliments" is one.
 #94049  by tcsned

strumminsix wrote:Which album?
"Compliments" w/Garcia holding Wolf on cover w/birds behind