#76537  by waldo041
 Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:20 pm
i think pappy's correct in it being an F# on the first conundrum posed.

45:30 to about 45:44

http://www.livestream.com/davidaron/vid ... 5266152479

i think?!?

peace,
waldo
 #151674  by Dozin
 Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:44 pm
I was just going through some notes on this tune and stumbled across this thread. From my ears all the album versions it's a F#m. I believe Weir changed the chord to a F# in mid 70's. I think after the 1975 hiatus time frame. So it all depends on what era y'all play it in.
 #151676  by jackaroo
 Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:06 pm
I hear an obvious hammer on from A to Bb. It's an awkward sound, but it's there in the American Beauty redording. I can't understand why they did it, but they did. I don't hear anyone really declaring it loud and proud, but it's there from the beginning.

They did some funny stuff that broke modality from time to time...not sure if it was deliberate though. Still the song is wonderful.

I've slowed it down to one quarter of the speed on my computer...that Bb?.... It's there 100%.
 #151719  by tigerstrat
 Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:58 am
pappypgh wrote:I'm the one adament about it being an F#, not minor.

I've listened to about 15 different versions from the 80s & 90s. Jerry, without a shadow of a doubt in my mind, hits a major F# chord.

As Tourpro said, I can't provide you with one written shred of proof. But I hear it. If anyone has a video and you can see Jerry's hands at that spot, post it!

It doesn't make musical sense, as the song is in A and the relative minor is F#, I get it. There are many other instances in Grateful-Deaddom that don't make musical sense, either.
You may be onto something here.

Bob and Jerry together in the frame and both exhibiting a major "E" grip at 1:46

#151726  by Lephty
 Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:17 pm
This is causing me a crisis of confidence.

In this '72 version, right at about :50, it's pretty easy to hear that it's F# major.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvN2VcYRQJo

But other versions sound pretty F# minor-ish to me.

I'm not sure if I'd be able to unlearn 30 years of playing F#m there.