#9249  by phpbb

As Bill promised, he's put out a two part video instruction for Stagger Lee - Check it out in hte usual location or the new link on the left hand menu called "Video Instruction"...

or here:
http://www.bickslicks.com

or the What's New Section

Thanks to Bill!!

#9256  by GratefulFloyd

i dont know if its because i'm retarded or something but i'm having a hard part figuring out the best way to have my fingers for that "5 5 5 5" and the "3 3 3 3" part right at the beginning :? , so if you could help me out that that'd be great. but this video is really awesome and sounds great, nice work brotha

#9257  by Billbbill

Yea it's not the greatest look. I barre the B, G, & D strings with my index finger and use my ring finger (next to the pinky) for the A string.

I do some more yakkin about this tune on this thread.

http://community.rukind.org/viewtopic.php?t=562

#9271  by wisedyes

As always, excellent job there, Billbill. It's particulary interesting to me because I had always played the first part in the first postion, starting on an F chord, and then walking down through E minor, D minor, C, and then the A#. So it's always cool to have another take on something that you yourself didn't think of, really helps with the whole grokking of the fretboard thing. Thanks again!

#9272  by Billbbill

My pleasure, and thanks for the compliment.

Funny you should say that wisedyes but I also originally played it in the first position as well. What I show is what I saw JG doing on one of the videos, the Buffalo one I believe. While other than that, everything is by ear from the JG solo show I cite in the other SL thread, it sounds the same so I opted for the same positioning.

In the end I don't think it's a big deal either way. The point would be to present a cohesive line that sounds good. You may want to voice the F bass note and to do that you have to be at the first fret. Nothing wrong with playing around with it.

Bill

#9294  by Billbbill

To Gratefulfloyd -

I thought about your question and it occurred to me that when you say

<>that "5 5 5 5" and the "3 3 3 3" part<>

you may have been missing where the chords 'begin'.

If that's the case, below I show how the bold
fret number references on tha A string are the first notes of the chords that they line up with.

-----------F-----C-----Bb----F-----Bb--

E|------------------------
B|-------------6-----5-----3-----1------3-------
G|-----------5-----5-----3-----2------3---3--
D|-------------7-----5-----3-----3---3---3----
A|-----5-7-8-----7-----5-----3-----1------
E|---8---------------------------------1--

Thus the notes for the

F chord would be

-----------F-----

E|------------------------
B|-------------6-
G|-----------5---
D|-------------7-
A|---------8-----
E|--------------

the C

----C

E|--------
B|------5
G|----5
D|------5
A|--7----
E|-------

the Bb

---Bb----

E|------------
B|-----3---
G|---3----
D|-----3--
A|-5-----
E|-------

Etc.

The C and Bb chords are essentially the open G chord form, up the neck, less the bass tonic note.

If my previous fingering explanation continued the confusion, I hope this clears it up.
Last edited by Billbbill on Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#9295  by Billbbill

If you already had a handle on it and I'm blabering on for no good reason, then in the immortal woods of Saturday Night Live's Emily Latella

Never Mind.