#63356  by Billbbill

So here's some rehearsal audio of us with keys (1st time keys have jammed w/us - thankfully!)

In listening back I definitely could use some eq-ing w/ my wah - could use some bass and maybe a slight backoff of the cutoff frequency. The trick is (as far as I've been able to tell) to find that balance of upping the bass w/o losing the high end. I know the p/u selection plays a role as well. Any tips are welcome.

Our vocals could be stronger - we're well aware of that. 8)

Keys fit in nice and pretty seamlessly at that.

As always please chime in if you've got something on your mind. :smile:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6pfva/site ... kedown.mp3
 #63358  by Tennessee Jedi

Weir not worthy ! Weir not worthy !
:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:
:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:
:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:
Any chance you wanna tab out C7 fills during the " nothing shaking on shakedown st " ?
The one that starts on a pre bend is da shit !
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
Get a Donna to fill out the vocals ......
:D
 #63362  by Billbbill

Hey Thanks TJ -
Cite the time, beginning and end, of the lick you're talking about and I'll see what I can do. Sometimes it ain't easy but I'll give it a shot.

In general it's all C blues (minor pentatonic) w/ some chromaticism and the occasional major 3rd, 6th etc.
 #63363  by NashvilleMike

That was super cool!!! You really made it swing!

:hail: :hail: :hail: :cool:
 #63364  by Chuckles

That sounds great, guys. Is this just a jam session or is it a band in the works?

I think the pre-bent lick is this (see if it comes out - haven't mastered the tab thing... :? ):

1----15
2-------\16
3------------17
4-------------
5-------------
6-------------
 #63369  by Billbbill

We seemed to get it going at a couple points especially toward the end and maintained a decent vibe throughout. The mix could have been a bit better - we're working on it.

We're shooting for the band/giggin realm - though plain old jammin is a hell of a lot of fun.
 #63370  by czyfingers

You guys sound great Bill....quite authentic in all aspects. The keys really add alot. You gotta keep that guy coming back. Just curious, how did you record it? That could also have a role in the way your wah sounds in the recording. That sound is tough to capture well sometimes, due to how harsh and suddenly loud the highs can get. Actually, I thought it sounded fine though. MK has the Bobby sound/style nailed. MK, was wondering if you could share how you're getting the sound you have for pretty much the whole jam at the end. To my ears, it the later years Bob tone, with some distortion. I like it but have never really figured out how to get it.
Anyway, very impressive, post some more.
 #63375  by Billbbill

Hey Kev! Thanks for the feedback. Here's the recording lowdown-

for the record, it was recorded w/ a zoom h4n, using 4 tracks (the 2 built in mics for the room, and 2 inputs for the board - everything but drums). i should have had mike's guitar level higher

We're playing tomorrow night so we'll be giving it a go again.
 #63377  by jackr

Nice Job Bill. What envelope filter are you using? I think I have had enough of my vintage mxr.
 #63378  by Highballin'

Bill that's you up front on the Jerry Vocals right? I hope so, because you've got the Jerry Vocals down pat! Bring 'em out some more as you already noted.
Remember to be conscious of your distance from the mike. Find the right spot, and stay consistent.
This is definitely going to be a First rate-Quality Product from you guys!! Peace!! :smile:
 #63404  by Billbbill

jackr wrote:Nice Job Bill. What envelope filter are you using? I think I have had enough of my vintage mxr.
Thanks jack - I'm using my Boss Dynamic filter here. It's a Dinosaur but I seem to be able to get better results out of it than my Emma Discombobulator. I have both hooked up in my rig and have been experimenting. I've had trouble dialing in the Emma but it's still a work in progress.

I've had trouble getting rid of that fuzzy metalic sound, kinda like what Warren Haynes seemed to have from what I heard on the last tour. At least I'm in good company. :lol:

I'm nowhere near considering it an expensive paperweight! As I said before, I'm trying to add some bass w/o losing the responsiveness of the highs.
 #63405  by Billbbill

deadguise wrote:Very nice, -isn't it great to have all of the elements working together (musical alchemy)? Your right about the envelope, to me it seems you need to "round out the edges"...
No doubt - The extra creative input opens doors - it has a snowball type effect.

Exactly! - 'round out the edges'
 #63409  by strumminsix

Cool stuff, guys!
Billbbill wrote:It's a Dinosaur but I seem to be able to get better results out of it than my Emma Discombobulator. I have both hooked up in my rig and have been experimenting. I've had trouble dialing in the Emma but it's still a work in progress.
WHAT?! Seriously?! Bill, try with all the settings around 2 o'clock.