#23588  by heavynylon

When I first heard this song, I wasn't really sure what it was about. Someone told me it was about a post-apocalyptic meeting between the last man and woman on Earth. After I heard that, I listened to the song and, yeah, that fits - the words and the mood set by the melody. But I was wondering, what's the background on this song? Is there more to the story? I know the Grateful Dead did not write it. When did they start playing it? How did they come across it? :-?

#23592  by strumminsix

A canadian singer songerwriter Bonny Dobson wrote it. The meaning is exactly what you described...

#23594  by hotasaPistol

I believe a folk singer named Bonnie.......can't remember her last name ....originally sang the song ...very sweet voice....remember that Jerry really loved the song..and I remember that Morning Dew refered to the fallout from a nuclear bomb....when we grew up during the 60's the cold war was in full swing and the USA and Russia had a Mutally Assured Destruction ( M.A.D) policy in place that basically meant that whoever struck first would also be wiped out....I also remember that a lot of young people werent sure if we were going to live to 30 or beyond....remember the phrase "Don't trust anyone over 30"
I may be a little fuzzy....but that's the jist of it
Pistol :-?

"daytime nighttime inside outside"

#23645  by nicolasalk

At first sight the lyrics of that song looked very noraml or even superficial to me, but as the time passes and I listened to it again and again I was able to love and understand those eautiful lyrics, cause its one of the most beautiful song played by the dead and sung by Jerry.

#23666  by b weird

The Annotated Dead lyric website has a little history on the song. The problem is I don't know the web address, sorry.

#23671  by LazyLightnin

Ive heard the original a few times in the local grocery store. i also heard touch of grey in there too. 8)