#37407  by Pete B.

Here is a solo I put together for the first solo of Mississippi Halfstep, to incorporate some Modal playing (dorian) with some Jerry-isms including some half-step motion, and an arpeggio for good measure!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlDHYBqS ... re=related

Here is a breakdown of the solo by section.
The Am walkdown is basically ascending triplets out of the C/Am shape using Dorian mode (that would be from Re to Re of G-Ionian) with a few extra halfsteps in there to get the Jerry feel.
The F to Dm section is ascending triplets out of the F/Dm shape also using the Dorian mode (Re to Re of C-Ionian). I slide up to the fret 12-14-ish area to get set for the B7>E7 section.
The B7 section is ascending halfstep motion from B to Eb, then I come down from a G note to set up the E7 descending arppegio.
The second half starts with the Am with the b5 toggle (a pretty standard Jerry-ism in minor key solos), The Octave below punch (Jerry hits a 5th below on the SYF version), which sets up getting to the F. The D7 plays out of what is basically an open C7 shape moved up two frets, and the final descending run in G is basically a lick from a family of licks I call "The Brown Eyed Girl" licks (Van Morrison), that are also used regularly by Jer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfmokcFAYms
Here is the tab of this solo:
(/) Slide Up () Slide Down (h) Hammer On (p) Pull Off (b) Bend (r) Release (v) Vibrato

E|----------------------------------------------4h5--
B|--------------------------------------4h5--8-------
G|-------4--5-------4--5--7--4----5--7---------------
D|--5/7--------7-------------------------------------
A|---------------------------------------------------
E|---------------------------------------------------

E|--7--8--8----8--7--8--7----5-----5--5----5--8--5---
B|------------------------------8--------------------
G|---------------------------------------------------
D|---------------------------------------------------

B|-----------------------------------------------------------12--13-
G|---------9--10--------9--10--12--9----10--12/14----12--14----------14-D|--10h12---------12---------------------------------

E|------------------11----15--14--13--12-------------
B|--12--13--14--15------------------------15--12-----
G|------------------------------------------------13-
D|----------------------------------------------------14--12-------
A|------------------------------------------------------------14--11--

Second half of solo starts here:

E|---------------------------
B|---------------------------
G|----4--5------4--5--7--4---
D|-7--------7----------------
A|---------------------------
E|---------------------------

E|--------------------------------------
B|-----4h5p4--------4h5p4---------------
G|-5-7-------7-5-4------- 7-5-4----4h5p4
D|--------------------------------------
A|--------------------------------------
E|--------------------------------------

B|---------------------------------------------------
G|---------------------------------------------5-----------7--5--7/9---
D|--7--5--7---------------------------5--6--7-----7--5--7--------------
A|----------------------5--6--7----8-----------------
E|-----------5----7--8-------------------------------

E|----------------------------------------
B|-------------------------8\6-----5\3--1-
G|---------------5------------------------
D|-7p6p5p4---4-7---7-6-7/9-----7\5------2-
A|---------5----------------------------3-
E|----------------------------------------

#37414  by deadguise

Nice vid, great tab and explanation

#37416  by bucketorain

OMG!! Nice job again Pete!

All you guys that put these vids up blow me away...

I definitely need to play more...

#37419  by strumminsix

Awesome!

#37456  by Pete B.

Here are some alternate ideas for the 2nd half of the Mississippi Halfstep solo (You could use the diminished thing over the F/Dm section in the first half, too).
I'll get the tab up soon.
~pb

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nnomJd1OG6U

#37478  by pappypgh

:cool:

ROCK ON, PETE! That's some good shit. I am going to try & incorporate a bit of that next time we play it. I like the 1/2-Step down & bend trick...killer. AND, the diminished run....nice touch...very nice!

Pappy

#37484  by Pete B.

Thanks, Pappy.
Hey Man, I just noticed that in the explaination of the "1/2 step back bend", I didn't say to end each one of those by hitting the note that is 2 (or 3 in some cases) frets below the original note.
Hit the first target note (no bend).
Drop back one fret and hit that note and bend it back up to the original note.
Then the last two steps are to hit the bent note (which is the same as the original target note at this time), and release it in such a way as to end on, and hit, the note that is two frets below the original target note.
Also, I played that run pretty much the same on each one, but you can make each one a bit different by just mixing up the bend techniqes a bit.
You can end on the original note instead of two frets below, for example, or you could change up the picking technique and/or timing on each one.

If you guys are like me at all, you've sat around drinking coffee (on your day off and the wife is at work and the kid is at pre-school) and listened to like 30-40 or so Halfsteps in a row from the mid-late 70's on Archive (wow, they opened ALOT of shows with this song, eh?).
That diminished run always caught my ear. I'm not sure I'm using it exactly like Jer... yet, but ya gotta start somewhere!

I just have to believe that Jerry was so pleased with himself when he came up with the chords for this song!

Edit:
Wow, some great thoughts on these lyrics, here:
http://www.well.com/conf/deadsongs.vue/ ... age01.html

Also:
http://arts.ucsc.edu/Gdead/AGDL/halfstep.html

#37489  by pappypgh

Pete B. wrote:
Edit:
Wow, some great thoughts on these lyrics, here:
http://www.well.com/conf/deadsongs.vue/ ... age01.html

Also:
http://arts.ucsc.edu/Gdead/AGDL/halfstep.html
Well, actually I was told by a music scholar that a "Toodeloo" is a jazz musical term. I explained another song in a thread this way, but this song is actually THE prime example of the explanation of a Toodeloo, as it IS one.

A "Toodeloo" in music is actually saying "Hello," then "Goodbye". Or, you could think of it as asking a question, then answering it. The "Hello" is the first half of the solo that ends with "F > Dm > B7 > E7" (or the "question"...you can almost HEAR the "Why is that" as the chords happen...or envision an eyebrow raising!). The second half of the solo ends with "F > Am > D7 > G" which is your "Seeya later" (or your "answer" as you can almost hear "Because" or envision a head nod in understanding.

Ain't music just grand?!!!
 #127500  by Jon S.

I so much appreciate Pete's assistance and will be putting it into practice - at practice - today. :smile: