#38179  by Billbbill

A pretty good screw up a little after the beginning of the 2nd half of the 3rd verse solo, but I thought decent enough to post. I go a little quick to the D-A from the E. Oh well.

Intro

(/) Slide Up (\) Slide Down (h) Hammer On (p) Pull Off (b) Bend (r) Release (v) Vibrato

------------Bm----------C#7-----------F#m

E|-----------2-------------------------2---
B|-----------3---------3-2-------------2----
G|-----------4-------4-----4-2-1-------2----
D|-4-2-------4-----4-------------4-3---4---
A|-----4-2-0-2-4-5-------------------4-4----
E|-------------------------------------2----
http://www.guitartabcreator.com

I add an A/C# chord in the chorus between the D and the Bm. JG did this in later versions I believe like a dis

------------------Walkin'...
--D-----A/C#bass--Bm
g-----2-------2
d---4------2
a-5-----4

I'm playing the notes for E mixolydian over the verse lead although leaning heavily on the chords as is obvious. The only change I really do is in the chorus. For the second half { A-G-D-A (after the Bm-C#m-D)} I drop the Ab note a half step to the G note.

Now of course I'm doing the poor mans modes routine and just paying extra attention to the chords/changes. I probably should get the modes down better.

#38191  by deadguise

NICE! Anytime somebody goes through the trouble of tabbing and videoing a tune deserves a round of applause...
Thanks BbB!

#38194  by 1960strat

Wow Bill, this is a great job!!!

#38205  by Billbbill

Thanks guys -

For those key mavins is the second part in A? Sounds like it resolves to the A - if so that would make the scale A ionian and then the 2nd half of the chorus A mixolydian. Same notes as scale referenced above.

#38223  by BlobWeird

Good job! Ive never really messed with these tune much yet. Great ending to it. I was hopin you would emphasize the "In the Rain" part like Jerry and you did haha nice!

#38224  by amyjared

YES! I, too, never messed with this much, but always loved it and am now going to sit down with this and learn it. Thanks!!

#38231  by Tennessee Jedi

Bill should be a Senior Member.
Or President.
:cool:

#38233  by Billbbill

If you guys have any questions I'll try to answer 'em. I'm gonna post something on the modes for this...if I can get it right anyway...can someone confirm that the 2nd part of this is in A?

I think I got another 130 something posts to go for senior member status. I suppose time wise I'm already there. Been yakkin with you fine folks for going on 4 years. Damn has it been that long?

#38234  by Tennessee Jedi

But Bill if you were the Prez you could do vids from the Oval Office - now that would be cool.
:smile:

#38240  by Billbbill

Tennessee Jedi wrote:But Bill if you were the Prez you could do vids from the Oval Office - now that would be cool.
I prefer a royal slant - I'll be King and vid from my throne. ;-)

#38259  by CaptainTrips

Billbbill wrote:can someone confirm that the 2nd part of this is in A?
To the best of my knowledge, yes the second part is in A. Ill even do my best to explain why . . . .

First off you are right, there seems to be a strong notion throughout that part to resolve to the A.

Also if you look at the Major Chords there: E, D, and A . . . . what you have is the fifth in E, the fourth in D and the tonic in A. Just from that you can make an assumption that the key is A, and most of the time you will be right.

I also go through and check the other chords to see if they present a major conflict. First off you have a Bm. Looking at your the major scale of A (A, B, C#, D, E, F#, G#, A) The only major chords there are the main ones, (1 - 4 - and 5). the rest are either minor (2 - 3 - 6) or diminished (7).

Bm is the second or dorian note, which makes it a minor chord, so it fits the bill. Next chord is C#m which is the third or phrygian note of the major scale. This also fits the bill. Lastly is the G major which at first doesnt fit the bill of A major, but taking into account Garcia's fondness of the Mixolydian scale it fits.

Along with harmonizing the major scale you can also harmonize the mixolydian scale. And the mixolydian scale is identical to the major scale except it has a flattened seventh. The 7th of A is G# . . . and the flat 7th of A or the 7th of Mixolydian is G. So this part of the song drifts for a second into mixolydian.

But you wouldnt say that it is in A mixolydian because that would in turn mean that its in D major, which it isnt. Just for that one bar it leans towards A mixo. :D

But nice work bill, Ive been looking forward to this one! Great use of dynamics throughout!

#38263  by Billbbill

CaptainTrips wrote:
Billbbill wrote:can someone confirm that the 2nd part of this is in A?
To the best of my knowledge, yes the second part is in A. Ill even do my best to explain why . . . .
Thanks Capt. - Looks to be a pretty good explanation!

So then mode wise:

Verse:

Over A play - A Ionian
Over E play - E Mixolydian
Over Bm play - B Dorian
Over D play - D Lydian

Chorus:

Over Bm play - B Dorian
Over C#M play - C# Phrygian
Over D play - D Lydian

To this point the above are all the same notes

Now drop the Ab (G#) to the G note

Over A play - A Mixolydian
Over G play - G Lydian
Over D play D Ionian

Now the extent to which one pays attention to the modes vs. the chord changes while playing lead was debated in another thread a while back. I think it's a matter of personal preference but an understanding of the modes is a good thing to have a grip on.

Now I just hope I spelled out the above correctly! :oops:

#38269  by krzykat

Billbbill wrote:
Tennessee Jedi wrote:But Bill if you were the Prez you could do vids from the Oval Office - now that would be cool.
I prefer a royal slant - I'll be King and vid from my throne. ;-)
all i can picture is that Zappa poster! :peas:
 #69535  by ronster

Hey Bill
Had JGB 3/8/78 on last night and was once again blown away by the mssion in the rain so I sat my ass down to learn it and came accross your vid. That is top notch, looks like you had a Jer moment at the finsh. Can you tab out the lick between the verses that you use? You really nailed it on the vid after rainy saturday at 6:10. Is it just going up the e chord?
Thanks for the video
Ron
 #69547  by Billbbill

ronster wrote:Hey Bill
Had JGB 3/8/78 on last night and was once again blown away by the mssion in the rain so I sat my ass down to learn it and came accross your vid. That is top notch, looks like you had a Jer moment at the finsh. Can you tab out the lick between the verses that you use? You really nailed it on the vid after rainy saturday at 6:10. Is it just going up the e chord?
Thanks for the video
Ron
Hey Ron -

This looks to be about right for that phrase - had to break out the guitar to figure out my own friggin lick!

(/) Slide Up (\) Slide Down (h) Hammer On (p) Pull Off (b) Bend (r) Release (v) Vibrato

E|------------------------------------
B|------------------------------------
G|-------------------------------------
D|----------------9-----------------------
A|-------7--9/11-----11\9--7--9p7-----7-
E|--7h9----------------------------9--
http://www.guitartabcreator.com

This lick is straight E maj pentatonic though mixolydian would work as well.