#156146  by mgbills

5/7/77 & 5/9/77 are just smokin'.

It's like Jerry was watching Jerry Reed on HeeHaw, and said..."Wow, those are awesome licks. I think I'll turn them up to 11."

Love both versions and they're entirely different.
 #156147  by Searing75

Thanks for the lesson man! Appreciate you!

5/9/77 is my all time favorite show. It has some of the best ever versions of their songs played that night! Not a fan of Sunrise though.
 #156164  by tcsned

I'm not sure where I remember reading this, but I recall Jerry saying something like, 'take Big River for example, I don't care if I ever play that song again.' He was lamenting the wealth of cool songs in that feel that they could be doing instead of the same ones over and over again. Though some of my favorite Jerry country playing was on that tune. He may not have been happy playing that tune but he sure did some nice playing on it :hail: :hail: :hail:
 #156166  by TI4-1009

tcsned wrote:I'm not sure where I remember reading this, but I recall Jerry saying something like, 'take Big River for example, I don't care if I ever play that song again.' He was lamenting the wealth of cool songs in that feel that they could be doing instead of the same ones over and over again. Though some of my favorite Jerry country playing was on that tune. He may not have been happy playing that tune but he sure did some nice playing on it :hail: :hail: :hail:
Or insert:

Me and my Uncle
Minglewood
El Paso
Little Red Rooster
Mama Tried
etc.....

I'm a Big River fan myself, along with Promised Land.
 #156171  by caspersvapors

But on a semi related note, I am trying to find a performance of Big River when Jerry backed up Bobby on the vocals for the last verse, the "I give up.." line. Ive heard some versions (80s I think) where Jerry will accent "give up" and "had enough" parts. Anybody got a date for one like that?