#48254  by CaptainTrips

tigerstrat wrote:Sweet Suzy was only within the first few months it was played. As to why it was dropped... who knows, but if you try singing it several times that way I'll bet you'll wanna drop it too.
Exactly, its extremely tough to make that vocal transition.

#48274  by strumminsix

CountryMile Cadillac wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:What about "put your gold money where your _____ is baby" ??
I always sing "love" in that spot. Heard others say luck too though.
Kinda figured this was an extension of the line "all that i am asking for is 10 gold dollars" whom I assume is from a lady "sweet suzy" and it follows with "before you let me deal go down" being out of the hand/game. Therefore would "love" would be the appropriate word.

#48278  by CountryMile Cadillac

Kinda figured this was an extension of the line "all that i am asking for is 10 gold dollars" whom I assume is from a lady "sweet suzy" and it follows with "before you let me deal go down" being out of the hand/game. Therefore would "love" would be the appropriate word.
In that sense luck would be more appropriate; however, if you look at it as "sweet suzy" being his woman, he would be asking for trust in him, for her to show him some love.

#48280  by pappypgh

I always heard / sang "love" there. "Luck" just doesn't flow for me, lyrically (for me, at least, to sing). I sing it more like "luh---viz, baby" rather than "love - is - baby", so "luh---kiz, baby" just doesn't work for ME.

Storywise, luck works better than love, IMO. But I'm taking my liberties and going home. :cool:

#48320  by IamDocWatson

moaning low is a common phrase in folk and bluegrass music and probably used more commonly in areas associated with that kind of music...its good for everyone to expand outside of the grateful deads catalog, u will learn more than you can imagine.

#48325  by pappypgh

I thought the version on Dead Set also was a Sweet Suzy....just from my foggy memory... :-?

#48344  by pappypgh

It's most definitely "bragging"

uh

#48446  by GRis

i suggested 'all alone' is correct because i could have sworn i heard/saw Jer sing it that way

but 'holding low' makes sense in a card game context (as does luck)

i will see if i can get a mutual friend to ask Bobby... :-)

#48447  by krzykat

According to Box of Rain which is Hunters own collection it is moaning low.
as for hearing it differently or seeing it differently we all know Jerry flubbed lyrics every once in a while

and it is everybodys bragging and drinking that wine
 #81825  by zambiland

and it is everybodys bragging and drinking that wine
Can anyone point to a version where it sounds more like "prayin'"? I brought this up with the guy who sings this in my band and he's adamant about prayin', but I've never heard a version that sounds like that.

Edwin

Re:

#81826  by erock

pappypgh wrote:I always thought it was "holding low", since he's playing cards. :roll:

I always thought that same thing as well
 #81827  by jdsmodulus

Jerry has sang "prayin" Ill have to search one out but the correct lyric is "braggin" I have also heard Playin in the Band where its sounds like they sing "prayin". The "sweet Suzie" part is there too but only on early versions and possibly some of the acoustic later versions.
 #81829  by ugly rumor

jdsmodulus wrote:Jerry has sang "prayin" Ill have to search one out but the correct lyric is "braggin" I have also heard Playin in the Band where its sounds like they sing "prayin". The "sweet Suzie" part is there too but only on early versions and possibly some of the acoustic later versions.

And wasn't there a "Playing in the BARN", once? Nothing wrong with being a little creative, occasionally!

:smile: