#149831  by caspersvapors

Man too many

Hundred Year Hall - This one just captures of the essence of the story within this song. Jerrys opening lick is haunting and really sets the TONE

Dicks Picks 29 - just powerful

5/12/77 - the Aud - I agree with the above poster about Auds in general. This one is probably the best sung Jack Straw Ive heard, those opening harmonies with the crowd going nuts give me chills. Those May 77 versions had the best harmonies ever.

1-8-78 - This is far from the best Jack Straw and its really long, but I love Jerrys play on the second solo. He starts out pretty rough and you can tell his ideas arent great. He goes into a chordal jam that sounds like hes ready to end it, but instead of ending he comes firing out the gates with a blistering solo
 #149841  by brbadg

8-22-93 Autzen Stadium. Jerry shred a thon.Waiting for Weir's guitar to come back on during the solo break.Jerry just keeps on soloing!
 #172585  by Megatokyo

8/27/72. Jerry sounds so desperate when he sings "and one small point of pride". Also some of Bob's best vocals.
 #172591  by healthy_scratch

Those 87 Jack Straws are just fire energy from the spring.

I wouldn't say it is necessarily the best, but one that flies way under the radar in terms of Jack Straw and is a somewhat different run-through of the tune is the Giants Stadium 06-16-91 to kick off the second set. The jam is decent enough on energy but it is the superb duelling between Jerry and Bruce in the Jams that makes this one stand out for me. Some very tasteful grand piano and one of those welcome instances of Bruce pushing an "energetic" Jerry throughout this run very call and response on this jam.

Everyone talks about the June 17th, 1991 show and it is warranted, believe me (Eyes and Might Well to bookend set I Dark Star teases throughout on the 17th etc. etc.), I was there and it was my birthday on the 17th believe me I was stoked beyond stoked, but I still love and loved at the time the second set from the 16th of that Jersey 91 run with the Jack Straw being the highlight. What follows is relatively tasty as well as I am a big fan of the next 3 songs as well:

Jack Straw -> Crazy Fingers -> China -> Rider

Post space on June 16th looks pedestrian on paper for the period, but it was all well played and delivered with vim and vigour. Add to this you had Little Feat opening both nights a fun fun fun run in the summer of 91.
 #172592  by bzbz

I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned Syracuse 10/20/84 - Wailing conclusion

Similarly 4/6 87 at the Byrne was pretty wailing too,
 #172593  by lightningbolt

I am shocked no one has mentioned 1/11/79 at Nassau.
Bobby sings...we used to play for acid, now we play for Clive and Jerry is spitting fire!
Jerry's picking on the second solo is some of the fasted shredding he ever put on tape.
Give it a listen.