#174767  by BDubbbzz

With their stock getting slowly dwindling, I’ve been looking at, possibly, getting Eastwoods take on Jerry’s TB500. While it could be FOMO, I figured I’d ask if anyone here in the forums who got one what they think about the guitar.

How does it feel play, what's the quality been like, how are the pickups, and is the lack of an aluminum neck that much of a dealbreaker?

You don’t see many takes on the TB500 outside of Travis Bean Guitars $10000+ updated models, Eastwood, and Phred. I know Eastwood has a 45-day return policy, but thought I’d see what other experiences have been like beforehand.
 #174768  by Jon S.

#174773  by Darkstar860

^ This. The unique thing about not only the build, is the tone and playability of the guitar. You cannot replicate what this guitar does with wood. Unless you have played one, you will not know about what i speakith about. :-P

Remember on here people speak of getting 75% of the way to Jerry with...(this amp and this guitar etc). I would take a wild guess this guitar does 75% of what a Bean does, but that other 25% is what makes it stand out from all angles. Nothing like a Bean but maybe some of the Kramers (early). I know theres new companies making everything from kits, to necks etc.
Searing75 liked this
 #174774  by Jon S.

I have a different take. Ignore the advertising for a moment, if you can, and consider the guitar on its own merits, taking into account the construction, wood choices, pickups, electronics, etc.

I've had my eye on copping another 3 P90 guitar ever since I idiotically sold my c. '07 USA Reverend NAMM Slingshot Custom. This is the first one that's having me do a serious soul search on it because, truth be known, I like all of its features and the return-for-any-reason-within-45-days-if-you-don't-like-it policy is attractive.

I would add that, taking as a given the guitar won't sound like a Bean to those of us who know what Bean sounds like, as a gigging guitar, some in the audience will recognize and dig it, most won't, but for those who do, as they say, "Audiences hear with their eyes."

EDIT: Given the clientele, I should perhaps clarify that I'm not suggesting great tone is meaningless or unimportant. I mean to say only that if you otherwise like this guitar's specs, don't not buy it out of concern of what anyone else may think.
BDubbbzz liked this
 #174775  by lbpesq

On the one hand, this may well be a fine guitar. On the other hand, it reminds me of those kits that make a VW Bug into a Cobra. You wind up with a “Cobra”, but in looks only. Otherwise, it is a completely different animal.

Bill, tgo
 #174777  by Chocol8

I would be much more interested if it was a neck through even with laminated wood instead of aluminum. A well done neck through double cut gives fantastic upper fret access. My favorite HH guitar is a Korean neck through double cut that I much prefer to play over a Les Paul. If I was smart I would have bought 3 or 4 of them for different pickup configurations!
 #174778  by Jon S.

lbpesq wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:23 am On the one hand, this may well be a fine guitar. On the other hand, it reminds me of those kits that make a VW Bug into a Cobra. You wind up with a “Cobra”, but in looks only. Otherwise, it is a completely different animal.

Bill, tgo
Agree in principle somewhat (it's a different animal - not "completely" different). The specific analogy, though, is to me inapropos. This is a well-designed and built 3-P90 guitar. It's priced competitively with other similar also-Asian-built models*. Buy it for what it is or pass but that it's not a legit Bean replica at $1500 and change is not, in my view, any reason to avoid it unless what you really want is a Bean and only a Bean (in which case, why look at this model at all?).

* E.g., https://reverendguitars.com/guitars/ron ... tream-390/
BDubbbzz liked this