When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #99877  by jester536

Was out on the mountain bike yesterday...warm sunny day in Montana...and being a teacher on summer vacation certainly adds to the mix. Put the head-phones on and dialed in a show from the Orpheum in 1976 (July 18th). This has been one of my favorite shows since I first heard most of it on King Biscuit Flower Hour. There are lots of different versions on archive...bits and pieces here and there but you really need to listen to the whole show..I'll try to include a link to a good one. The second set is absolutely amazing. And for all of you Donna haters out there...this is one where she actually sounds very good. Yes, that could actually happen.
It has everything...those great old set selections...they open with Half Step...and Cassidy is the second tune! but it's the run that starts with Lazy Lightning and runs for about 40 minutes that is really stellar.
Not sure if anyone is interested but I just had to share...bombing down the mountain on a very cool single track trail and digging some incredible music...it was just one of those "exactly perfect" moments.
http://www.archive.org/details/gd76-07- ... sbeok.shnf
 #99880  by strumminsix

Great show and, honestly, 76 is usually my favorite year!
 #99887  by playingdead

Try this from William and Mary, 9-24-76 ... Playing in the Band -> Supplication -> Playing in the Band. A real gem. Audience, but a good audience. 10/4 to 7/4.

http://www.archive.org/details/gd76-09- ... sbeok.shnf
 #99909  by Emoto

I love the 76 shows. To me, there was a gentleness and beauty that make that year more or less unique.
 #99919  by playingdead

DenverEd wrote:'76 kills. However you have to be in the mood for some gooey Dead. Some of those Row Jimmy's, time does more than stand still, it goes backwards. 8)
Ask the time, baby, I don't know ...
 #99924  by NWPines

I LOVE most of '76. Quite possibly my favorite year. I know a lot of folks on here are all about '82, '86, '87, '89. Tone-wise (at least for Jerry) I'd agree there is a lot of deliciousness in there, and I do love the reinvigorating spark Brent brought to the band, but for me '72-'77 is the cresting and high water mark for the band.
 #99930  by jester536

Just listened to 9-24-76...wow. I've never heard Supplication anywhere other than right out of Lazy Lightning. It is a very good crowd tape...but it would sure be nice to have a clean sbd of that show. Someone else mentioned '72-'77...I've written a rather lengthy discussion on why that is the absolute best 5 year run...I know others disagree...its just nice to know someone agrees. I just never find myself listening to anything in the 80's...I need to start...hell I saw most of my shows in the 80's and 90's...but today's revelation just makes it clear that there are still wonderful shows from '76 that I've never even heard. Thanks.
 #130416  by jester536

Was just listening to the Dave's picks from the William & Mary show. I had posted long ago that I had hoped for a good soundboard...wow. That playin into supplication is beyond belief.
 #130460  by rugger

Timely post as i was going to bring up 7/16/76 last week and never got around to it. I was traveling SD to Boston on JetBlue listening to inflight SiriusXM. They were playing a complete show from the Greek in '87. Somehow the second set of the above mentioned show was serendipitously inserted in place of the Greek's second set. No problem here as I would rather listen to '72-'77 ten times out of ten over anything from the 80's and these particular Orpheum shows hadn't come across my radar yet. Anyways, that mid July run at the Orpheum in '76 is my new favorite listen right now. Couldn't agree with the OP more about the quality of the show. And, thanks to Dozin's archive.org app recommendation, I'm rocking this show now while running errands!

John in San Diego
 #130461  by TI4-1009

rugger wrote:No problem here as I would rather listen to '72-'77 ten times out of ten over anything from the 80's
+1
 #130465  by caspersvapors

I draw certain connections from some years to others. 1976 for example, reminds me of 1973. Theres some sort of earthy quality to their sound and the way they played, which is still just as brilliant, but the energy is more focused and contained.

I like to listen to 1976 and 73 during the Fall and I like to listen to 72, 74 and 77 during the Summer.