#99613  by Bear62

GAS is in Full Swing- Sold my Heritage Victory amp 2006 Mint condition, today! Tube Works MV962 arrived today in nice shape. Ordered the SMS JG on Fri! Shopping for Cab and speakers now. Leaning towards some Weber Neos 2x12 to save my back!

Wahoo. Perhaps, have it before our 7/23 gig, :) Wishful thinking I know~!

peace, Gregg
 #99617  by Jon S.

You're gonna LOVE it (I certainly love mine)!

Regarding speakers, everyone's different/YMMV/that's why they have horse races, etc., but I started off with a pair of Weber aluminum-cap Neo-Mags in my SSP Jerry 2X12 (more on SSP in a moment) and they did not work for me. I found them too upper midrange/lower treble range focused. They had an almost acoustic piezo-like quality to them clean that was beautiful-sounding but I didn't care for them overdriven at all (though to be fair, I'm talking more how they sounded with my guitar through overdrive pedals).

After some experimentation, what I settled on and love in my vertical 2X12 are a Jensen Neo 12-100 on the bottom and a Weber paper-cap NeoMag on the top. The Jensen is full and very clear with incredibly full, tight lows, a focused lower mid-range, and balanced upper mids and treble. The treble is substantial but not ice-picky. The paper-cap Neo is similar to the aluminum ones but without the unpleasant piezo-like tones to it.

If you have your heart set on Weber aluminum Neo-Mags and 16 ohmers are OK, contact me, I'll sell you my original pair very cheap. But to be frank, my rep is more important than the $ and I think you can do better. :smile:

For your cab, check out Tracy's cabs - Sound Scaper Productions. I'll put my SSP Jerry 2X12 up there with my SMS JG Classic Preamp as gear that I'll own forever. [Disclaimer: I'm an "SSP musician" on the SSP web page.]

http://www.soundscaperproductions.com/

Last edited by Jon S. on Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #99626  by Bear62

Thanks Jon, I really think you have some good points about overdriven tone on a JG Rig. I have played through many diff amp and speaker combos. Avoiding the Ice pick is a key concern when using an OBEL guitar. I have a Resurrection Jerry Style Guitar[https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/webUplo ... 6678444257] . Currently play through a Holland 4x10 w/ Mojotone speakers and she sounds great. It is just a beautiful amp, However the cab is even larger than a typical Bassman. It uses 3 12ax 7s, 2 6l6s and a 5UG4 Rectifier to run 3 speakers and the Reverb is on the 4th speaker w/ it's own 12ax7 and 6l6. That is why I am putting together a LIGHT PORTABLE Rack Rig. I use a GCX, w/ 2 Digitech Hardwire overdrives, a SC-2(more Marshally) and a CM-2(Fender). Each has Bass and Treble EQ which helps a lot. Sometimes I swap a Fulltone FD2 in for the CM-2.

This leads me to the question, what ohm speakers are you using and how are they wired. I have a Tube Works MV962 that is 80 w/ per channel stereo w/ volume and presence for each channe/. BTW Mike K., The MV962 has line outs on the back. I believe the SMS only has one output. Perhaps Brad can help answer this?

The SST Cabs look gorgeous. 2x12 would be stretching the budget a bit. Finally, on the Weber Neo, do you have the all paper light dope or the one w/ the cloth edge?

Thanks so much,

Gregg
 #99634  by SarnoMusicSolutions

Got it. There's only one output from the SMS. I'm generally not a fan at all of guitar going direct to a PA compared to miking a speaker. Works ok for pedal steel and bass, but for guitar I'm just not a fan. But that being said, I can add a very nice transformer balanced option to the SMS Classic for simultaneous XLR to PA output and also 1/4" output to your amp/speaker setup. Not sure, but I think it's about a $60 option. Bug me directly if interested.

Brad
 #99640  by strumminsix

Brad, do you think this would work ok:
SMS > DI box with speaker emulation > XLR out to SBD | 1/4" out to poweramp?

If so, here'd be some options:
http://www.pedalspluseffectswarehouse.c ... -pdi09.htm = ???
http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/produ ... %20Classic "There is no modeling inside mind you, but we had our own cc212 with greenbacks as a reference."
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/GI100.aspx = 412 of ??
 #99651  by Jon S.

Gregg, I have my SSP cab wired up so each of the two speakers has its own jack and each is independently driven by one side of the dual outputs of my Rocktron Velocity 300. The RV300, in turn, is driven by dual mono outs from my SMS Classic Preamp which Brad, at my request, configured this way for me (how cool is that?!). But there are other ways also to split the output signal from an SMS. My Weber NeoMag has the paper cap with cloth surround.
 #99714  by SarnoMusicSolutions

strumminsix wrote:Brad, do you think this would work ok:
SMS > DI box with speaker emulation > XLR out to SBD | 1/4" out to poweramp?

Yeah, but why? If you're gonna have a power amp and speaker, why on earth choose the DI over the miked speaker? I'm a BIG advocate of the notion that a guitar speaker is absolutely part of the instrument and going direct has no benefit. Sure that's a generalization because for bass and even pedal steel guitar, DI often works if the preamp is sweet. But for 6-string electric guitar, unless you're doing something like Vic with very high quality digital DSP speaker modeling, going direct, even with those DI box speaker emulators, is gonna pale in comparison to the sound of a real speaker with a real magnet and a real voice coil moving real air into a well placed real microphone. I still believe it's hard to top the real thing. A miked speaker is still the benchmark. Everything else is an attempt to fake that sound. The speaker is a major contributor of dynamic and harmonic and musical characteristics. It's why guitarists have spent over half a century fussing over the right speaker for their tone. The way a real speaker naturally removes the unwanted highs, the way its mass dynamically compresses unwanted transients, the way the resonant characteristics of the cone and dustcap bring out the best of the guitar, etc. That's stuff that the electronic DI speaker emulation circuits can't do.

Brad
 #99737  by Bear62

I agree w/ you Brad. That is why I am struggling w/ the speaker decision. I am really liking the thought of 1 Jensen Neo and One Weber Paper Dome Neo.

Here is where I need some help. The Jensen Neo 12 comes in 1 model. Simple!

The Weber Neomag, in addition to choosing dust cap (Paper or Aluminum). I am leaning toward paper), one needs to choose one of the following. There is a fourth option for Bass, NA here.
All Paper Cone, No Dope
All Paper Cone Doped
Cloth Surround Guitar Cone

I am going to speculate that doped is more durable and lasts longer. Requires more break in time. Is the Cloth surround guitar Cone Doped?

Any thoughts are welcom.

Thanks, Gregg
 #99738  by Rusty the Scoob

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote: I can add a very nice transformer balanced option to the SMS Classic for simultaneous XLR to PA output and also 1/4" output to your amp/speaker setup. Not sure, but I think it's about a $60 option. Bug me directly if interested.

Brad
You just sold me one of those! Sooner or later. The SMS custom bass edition. :cool: