#99377  by eric

This is a continuation of the thread "Jerry rig from scratch"
The info on here has been a tremendous help, thanks to all who have been putting up with me for the last several months.

To pick up where I left off back in September, I eventually sold my FBDRI for the $500 I paid for it . Pretty farty bottom end, but a decent combo for the dough. ( and we all that the " best combo for under $500 " thread has already been covered in length)

DISCLAIMER!!!: I am aware that Garcia only used 32 ply Western Spalted Birch that grew on a mountain-top Unicorn Ranch somewhere in Colorado above 7200 feet.. But I'm thinking the pine is going to suit my needs just fine. And it still has the Birch Ply Baffle.

For this side of the equation , I picked up a 2x12 convertible back, solid white pine cab off Feeeee-Bay from some guy who builds them in his shop up in New Hampshire. It was about $160 shipped. Totally bare bones, no hardware , no grill cloth.

I used 5 coats of Minwax Poly Shades Antique Walnut.-$20. First, I treated it with a douching of Minwax Wood Conditioner.
I lightly sanded in between each coat of the Stain and Poly in one with 400 grit. Recommended dry time in between coats was kind of short and still felt really tacky , so I opted to give it about 5 days for each. Due to my high-school shop days being pretty far in the past, the cab actually ended up getting this really cool old vintage look to it.
Kinda new-old stock lookin, imo.

I have 2 JBL K120-8's, supposedly in great shape, with original cones, that will be arriving any day now. About $300 shipped for both...

I have ordered all the other necessary hardware/ misc :

8 Aluminum speaker clips from Tracy, "MODZ"- $90
Dual, Dual 1/4" and Speakon Input Jack plate -$10 . (Crown XLS1000 only has Dual Speakon outs for this type of application, figured might as well)
2 Aluminum Recessed Handles- $20
8 metal amp/ cab protective corners.-$5
Jumbo Amp Feet.-$5 ( I'm thinking I'm only going to mount the front ones, that should give me the perfect amount of tilt)
Bought a couple Tie dye Kits and some lightweight silk-like fabric for the grill cloth -$30
2 Monster 1000 Speakon to Speakon , 6 feet - $70

thats about $ 750 Loaded and completed ... not too bad for a custom cab

I will be running the 8 ohm K's in a Parallel connection, giving my power amp a 4 ohm load

I'll be assembling and mounting all this shit for the next week so I'll update this as soon as I'm done . I really eager to hear how this sounds with the other half of this side of the equation- Guitar> Effects > Hughes & Kettner Bluesmaster> Lexicon MX300 > Crown XLS 1000 ..

I'm gonna post sound clips as soon as i can get it somewhat dialed in...There is no telling how it will sound, but I'm guessing I'll be somewhere in the Infield of the Ballpark. And I can always swap out the HK and MX300 for the SMS if I need to

Here are some pics and some more of the signal chain..and Jer did play a sahweet Guild at one point...
 #99408  by Pete B.

Nice!
Looks familiar...
This one is also Pine. The holes were originally cut for EV SRO's, and the E120 would not fit in all the way from the front, so I have them rear loaded. I use wing nuts and lock washers to hold them in... makes for quick speaker swaps with no tools. I have a K120 in the top position now (not in th this pic, though).
Last edited by Pete B. on Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #99409  by jdsmodulus

Nice build, one thought I had is that I would have waited until you got those clips form Modz and had the speakers there in front of you before drilling into the baffle. JBLs are not the same as other speakers in width although they are similar. 2 cents!
 #99413  by rugger

Nice looking cab. Good job on the finish.

My .02, put some recessed handles in the sides--you'll want them.

John in San Diego
 #99419  by 1960strat

Can you send me the wiring diagram for the parallel wiring? I need to rewire mine and want to be able to change the e120s for V30's depending on what kind of show i am doing. (Dead vs Phish)
 #99438  by eric

1960strat wrote:Can you send me the wiring diagram for the parallel wiring? I need to rewire mine and want to be able to change the e120s for V30's depending on what kind of show i am doing. (Dead vs Phish)
This should be all over the net ..Parallel wiring really isn't a special wiring technique, more of a concept. Here it is,
in a kind of visual manner....Just my simple take on it from my rig standpoint...There are people on here could can spend days explaining this stuff in great detail. think about it as each channel being completely independent of each other.

AMP 1 OUT 1 > SPEAKER INPUT JACK 1 > POS + NEG TERMINALS ON YOUR SPEAKERS ( REVERSED IF USING AN OLDER JBL)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AMP 1 OUT 2 > SPEAKER INPUT JACK 2 > POS + NEG TERMINALS ON YOUR SPEAKERS (REVERSED IF USING AN OLDER JBL)

I'll hopefully be posting pics this weekend so you'll be able to see it exactly
 #99705  by eric

Need some help here!!!

When I got my speakers this weekend, I immediately noticed one of them was a recent recone. Even the chassis looked brand new with a fresh paint job. I was taking a bit of a gamble on ebay , I had asked the guy first but he said he didnt know anything about speakers , just that this actual speaker was working.

I tested the resistance on the original K and it's and I'm getting about 6.8.
The other speaker I'm getting 6.6

It looks exactly ( to my eyes) like the other K 120 i have . even the dimples on the cone look exact. New alum dustcap..etc

I then noticed on the back of the cone , it says E120 8 in white writing and some sort of "stamp" , Like a quality contol check off. It also has ( im guessing some sort of part number ) J203 500023.

So, did I score a K 120 with a brand new jbl e120 recone ???? Or do you guys think this is some shitty aftermarket kit.
Like I said, it looks like someone really spent alot of time restoring this thing.

I wont have a chance to a/b it with the other speaker for a few more days... so any thoughts in the mean time would be greatly appreciated!!! I'm stressin here!!
 #99708  by hogan

It's a K frame and magnet w/ a E120 recone kit. You have nothing to worry about unless the speaker sounds like shit.
 #99717  by eric

playingdead wrote:They don't make the K recone kits anymore, only the E.
Thanks guys!!! ....I knew you could only get a D or K recone done with the E kit these days...I guess I was just trying to see if there was a way to distinguish an OEM JBL kit vs a GENERIC one.

It looks like the real deal , and nearly brand spankin new from what I see ..I'll be able to hear tomorrow how it sounds.. I'm guessing I'll be sweet...

That would be a score .....cause I snagged it for 135!!!!
 #99759  by mijknahs

The aftermarket recones are very black and the texture is different from a real JBL cone. The OEM cones seems to be more irregular and bumpy. The real JBL cones have those perfectly arranged dimples throughout.