When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #9909  by spilly

I joined an floor hockey league. my friends were making some player changes and they invited me to join them as I spent a good portion of my life playing Ice hockey. I hadn't even touched a hockey stick in years. I shattered my kneecap a few years back and just figured I'd never play again.

It's been a few weaks now and I can't believe how much fun I'm having. It's nice being active again. my job is somewhat active, but this is actually fun. The thing I found really impressed me at the game today was the level of sportsmanship. it mostley guys who ussed to play on the ice, so it's seams like everybodys just happy to be apart of it. There's some shit-talking, but it's mostly in good fun,'

I highly recomend getting out and doing something like this, my body feels great now (not after the first few games though) and it's a nice litlle break from reality on a sunday evening.

anybody eles still doing anything like this

#9910  by phreaker

I kinda had to stop all sports. I have a desiese in my knee that I'm not even going to attempt to spell out. You pronounce it like "oz-good-shlaughter" it's a fairly common thing. My right knee cap had swollen up like crazy in the past few years.

I still like to run at night, and I'm up for a bike ride in the country any day. Some kids in my nieghborhood usually get together for some basketball games, but other than that, I'm one of the most un-competetive people you'll ever come across.

Sports arent really my thing, but yeah, like you said, being active is something you should try and do your entire life.

#9936  by Billbbill

I played Ice Hockey in HS and for a couple of years in college. I then layed off for about 8 years for some reason. Then I started having these weird hockey dreams where I'd be at the rink and for one reason or another I'd never make it to the ice. Usually some missing piece of equipment or something.

I figured maybe the dreams were trying to tell me something so I started playing again in adult leagues and haven't stopped since. Going on 44 now and still playing pretty regularly. I even became a ref and had done that for 10 years until last year. I've kinda had enough of that as between playing, reffing, and the winter demands of my job, something had to give, It was reffing.

I get a real rush from playing.

#9946  by phpbb

Ice hockey is one of my lunch time activities, I am fortunate to have a rink across the street from work. I used to play in leagues, but the 11:00 PM games during the work week kill me. I now do the Sunday morning pick up games.

#9951  by jck_strw

I never played hockey growing up (I think I played everything but), but when I moved to NC, I started playing in an adult hockey league. Great times. I will mention this though---maybe it was just the 2 leagues I was in, or just the people in the area, but the adult hockey league "culture" is very odd. Obviously everybody in it likes hockey, but there was more to it than that, I thought. Almost every guy in the league played in like 4 different leagues. That's all they did--play hockey every night, pick up sessions during the day, morning skates in the morning, several times a week. Followed by the traditional, gather around someone's car in the parking lot and drink beer for awhile (but that may be an NC thing). I liked playing and there were a couple of good guys I met, but I got the distinct feeling that I wasn't really part of the crowd. But like I said, that may be just an isolated experience. I certainly liked lacing up the skates and playing though.

The 11pm ice times got to be a killer though, which is why I had to stop. Didn't matter the league, the team, etc.---I always had either 11pm or 12am ice time games (there were a variety of days/times, but my team always wound up with the shittiest/latest schedule). It got to be ridiculous, so I stopped. I hope to pick it up again sometime soon.

#9958  by Billbbill

The late games are rough, until I get on the ice. And then rough again when I've got to get up at 6am for work.

Jack, the parking lot thing is not peculiar to NC although the rink I'm playing at now has a sports bar in the rink. All I'd need is a hammock and I don't think I'd ever have to leave.

I play with a few guys who may play on a couple of different teams but most play on just the one and maybe some pickup. Most of us are mid to late thirties on with families so it's a little rough to be playing on like 4 teams. That sounds a little hard core to me.

And Gregg, thats a great compromise, although the pickup I play in doesn't carry the same juice as a game and then there's the assholes who never want to get off the ice. I suppose it depends on the bunch of guys you play with.

I've actually been sidelined for almost 2 months as I'm recouping from eye surgery, but I'm chomping on the bit to get back.

#9975  by jck_strw

phreaker wrote:I kinda had to stop all sports. I have a desiese in my knee that I'm not even going to attempt to spell out. You pronounce it like "oz-good-shlaughter" it's a fairly common thing. My right knee cap had swollen up like crazy in the past few years.
I had this growing up. Seems to be common in very active kids. My doc at the time had suggested I stop doing so many sports. Fuck that--I took some advil, sucked it up and dealt with it. It did get really painful sometimes, but no lasting effects. So if you can deal with the pain, that's all there is to worry about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osgood_Schlatter_disease

#9976  by phpbb

the good news is that its not named after chris osgood...

#9991  by phreaker

funny thing you should bring it back up.

I was actually downtown today, running up some stairs (well, their not really stairs...they're big stones meant to look like steps on the side of a building...just for looks I guess) and i tripped and hit my knee right on the edge of one of them

I havent been too extremely active the past few months, so the pain kinda went away. as soon as hit my knee, god, the pain was terrible. I looked down at my leg, and realized I split that fucker wide open.

It's to the point again where I can hardly bend it.

I blame the sport of basketball.