rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#9945  by Benthegoodbum
 Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:14 am
I'm curious as to how you folks handle this little bit in the song...I can't seem to find the right fingering for it. Any help would be appreciated grately(hehe).

#9948  by strumminsix
 Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:43 am
Start with the barre-chord of E off the 7th fret and grab the F# off the 9th (A string) and the G# off the 11th.

IMO, the F# is more important voicing persay since it grabs the 2 which is not part of the major where the G# is the 3rd so it voices like an inversion playing the 3 first.

But together they have a different effect...

#9950  by tigerstrat
 Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:49 am
don't play the song much myself but how about

E/F# E/G#
E|-4----4
B|-5----5
G|-4----4
D|-4----6
A|-------
E|-------

or open E and add the bass note with the thumb...

#9952  by Benthegoodbum
 Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:58 am
Hey, thanks alot for the quick reply...these are just what I was looking for...I'll try both and see which sounds better.
 #37728  by mpowel
 Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:37 pm
Play the f# minor and g# m to the same as the bar with the thick e string not fretted. so e f# minor g#minor A. you/tube Liberty shows you these positions but this was a old jerry trick. Remember the bluegrass bass line walk ups to chords like A D B C# minor as usual. Has a feel to me like going down the road and deal meshed together. enjoy.

#37779  by Rev_Roach
 Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:17 am
When playing it alone, as I generally do, just use the open E chord. To hit the E-F#-G# just strum the E, let it ring the best you can, and then play the bass single notes. I'd probably (no guitar with me here) hit the F# with the thumb and G# with the pinky, but do whatever you like. It's a fairly quick bass run, so even if you lose most of the E chord its not a big deal.