#97180  by jeager

I took the V300 to rehearsal last night and in all honesty I have to say the thing sounded great. At our rehearsal space I use a closed back cab with speakers of unknown origin. A very non-Jerry arrangement but it is convenient because it is already there. I really dig the sound i was getting though AND set up and move was so easy.

In a band mix, what ever little high frequency issues I was having are not noticeable. Of course it the speaker cab is big part of the equation. I think the V300 may very well be a keeper.

Another part of the equation is obviously the room sound, here at home I am not in a particularly good room for testing high powered amplifiers.
 #99426  by hippieguy1954

Jon S. wrote:
JonnyBoy wrote:I heard clips of Jon S. rig and it sounded great.
I knew if I lived long enough someone would notice! :lol: Seriously, I'm entirely satisfied with my RV300. Cheap, convenient, sounds good - a winning triad.
Hey Jon S, are those "shallow" rack cases? I'm asking because I just got a V300 and am waiting on my SMS classic. I know they will fit in a "shallow" SKB rack case and was wondering if that's what your using.
peace
 #99429  by Jon S.

Yes, they are the shallow cases. I have a 2U on a 3U as a gift to my back. :)
 #99430  by strumminsix

Jon S. wrote:Yes, they are the shallow cases. I have a 2U on a 3U as a gift to my back. :)
Jon, how much does your power conditioner really weigh?

Sure, splitting always seems like a good idea but I'd be shocked if an added 5-8 lbs would make a diff to a light rack. Would it still be lighter than your cab and easier on your back than a guitar all night?

Just curious, bro!
 #99441  by Jon S.

SMS preamp = ~ 5 lbs. RV300 = ~ 19 lbs. Power conditioner = ~ 15 lbs. Rack has weight, too. Splitting the gear up makes a huge difference for my back AND makes it simple to use my conditioner with other gear, too. I have 2 neo's in my SSP Jerry 2x12 - it's as portable as they get!
 #99443  by strumminsix

Jon S. wrote:SMS preamp = ~ 5 lbs. RV300 = ~ 19 lbs. Power conditioner = ~ 15 lbs. Rack has weight, too. Splitting the gear up makes a huge difference for my back AND makes it simple to use my conditioner with other gear, too. I have 2 neo's in my SSP Jerry 2x12 - it's as portable as they get!
Ok, there is the disconnect on my end. According to the RV300 manual it says 7.5 lb and my Furman is 12 lb and that's where I was thinking not a big deal.

But which is right?! Is it 15 or 7.5?!
 #99451  by mijknahs

The Velocity 300 is about 15 lbs. That's lighter than a McIntosh MC50 which you can carry under one arm.

It's heavy compared to the SMS Classic but 15 lbs in not very heavy for a power amp.
 #99461  by Jon S.

The RV300 is closer to 18 lbs. & light only if your frame of reference is '70's SS technology. Better to compare it to a current Carvin DCM200L power amp at 4 lbs.

I don't really care what others lift for their gigs. An RV300 + Fuhrman P1800 (or whatever it is I own - on a train now!) + SMS + 6U Gator rack (6U for added ventilation) killed my back & my current configuration is wieldy & versatile.
 #99464  by strumminsix

Jon S. wrote:The RV300 is closer to 18 lbs. & light only if your frame of reference is '70's SS technology. Better to compare it to a current Carvin DCM200L power amp at 4 lbs.

I don't really care what others lift for their gigs. An RV300 + Fuhrman P1800 (or whatever it is I own - on a train now!) + SMS + 6U Gator rack (6U for added ventilation) killed my back & my current configuration is wieldy & versatile.

That's crazy that they advertise it 12 pounds lighter than it is. Add in lighter power conditioner and that's 15 lbs. Which was why I inquired. Yes, 15 lbs makes a huge diff!
 #99465  by Jon S.

If you got the 7 lbs. From the pdf version manual on Rocktron's web site, it's old & wrong.
 #99484  by wolftigerrosebud

I just want to weigh in on this, because I (like Jon) have an SMS > Rocktron V300 setup.

The V300 sounds awesome. It's very transparent and balanced sounding, and I find it easy to switch between Jerry sounds, jazz sounds, Hendrix sounds, Neil Young sounds, etc. It may not give you the sound of an old MC250 (which, if you solely play Jerry and have the cash for it, is probably the way to go), but it's a really fine piece of equipment.

Also, as for it being "light" -- no way, unless we're talking about in comparison to tube power. My EA iAmp Pro is 1200 watts @ 4 ohms and it weighs 9 pounds. That being said, the V300 isn't particularly heavy either.

The MC250 and V300 are both great IMO. Choosing between the two really depends on what you'll use them for and what your budget looks like.
 #99508  by strumminsix

Jon S. wrote:If you got the 7 lbs. From the pdf version manual on Rocktron's web site, it's old & wrong.
Exactly where I did. Kinda fucked up since I almost bought it for that exact reason, bro!
 #99538  by Jon S.

In that case, you might dig the Carvin DCM200L. Mark Norwine, another Deadhead guitarist (and ex-amp designer and builder - Carlson Amps, and in particular the highly-regarded Carlson Turbo PUP - who posts now and then on The Gear Page) uses this amp and really likes it. The reason it can be 4 lbs. is it doesn't use a trad or toroidal tranny but rather uses a system that supplies the actual current needed on demand analogous to how some hot water heater tanks are replaced with systems that just heat the water immediately when needed. This is what I meant when I posted earlier that the RV300 - which I love, by the way, it's perfect for Jerry tones and a lot more - can be deemed "lightweight" only if your reference point is the 1970's. On this topic, I'm always amazed when people go way out of their way to buy the same exact gear Jerry used, in particular amps and speakers, when unlike Jerry who played arenas and pushed them hard, most of us don't and can't. Give me my SMS into my RV300 into my pair of neo speakers and I'm happy and so is my back and wallet!

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/s ... ct=DCM200L
 #99567  by wolftigerrosebud

Jon S. wrote:On this topic, I'm always amazed when people go way out of their way to buy the same exact gear Jerry used, in particular amps and speakers, when unlike Jerry who played arenas and pushed them hard, most of us don't and can't.
Actually, Jon, I've hired Big Steve to be my full-time guitar tech. I've already got a Tiger replica with a warped neck and 7/64" action, a couple of old McIntosh amps, and Candace Brightman designing light shows for the bars my cover band plays in, but bringing Steve in on it is what'll push it over the edge and give me the sound.
 #99571  by Scarlet

wolftigerrosebud wrote:
Jon S. wrote:On this topic, I'm always amazed when people go way out of their way to buy the same exact gear Jerry used, in particular amps and speakers, when unlike Jerry who played arenas and pushed them hard, most of us don't and can't.
Actually, Jon, I've hired Big Steve to be my full-time guitar tech. I've already got a Tiger replica with a warped neck and 7/64" action, a couple of old McIntosh amps, and Candace Brightman designing light shows for the bars my cover band plays in, but bringing Steve in on it is what'll push it over the edge and give me the sound.
That's nothing. I'm getting the middle finger of my picking hand chopped at the 2nd knuckle next week - I think you'll find that's the key to Jerry's touch.
Also have my Persian heroin habit scheduled for about Sept/Oct.
I guess some amateurs just aren't prepared to go that extra mile though...