Chat about Equipment Info
 #9913  by qiuniu

Blair Jackson has a new book coming out!

Grateful Dead Gear
The Band's Instruments, Sound Systems, and Recording Sessions from 1965 to 1995

By Blair Jackson
300 pages, 9 3/4 x 12 1/2
Hardcover
200+ color and B&W photos
ISBN: 0-87930-893-1
Publication Date: November, 2006
Availability: Not Yet Published, Place Advance Order Now

$34.95

A comprehensive examination of the Grateful Dead's tools of the trade

* More than 100 photos and diagrams, many never before seen
* New interviews with band members and tech personnel
* Suggested listening for every era of the group's history

Grateful Dead Gear is the very first in-depth examination of every aspect of the Dead's technical side, including their recording methods. From the "acid tests" of the mid-'60s to the famous "wall of sound" in the '70s and up to their exceptional later touring systems, the Grateful Dead were always on the cutting edge of technological innovation and experimentation. This exhaustive study includes clear and concise explanations of the band's equipment technology, instrument design, and studio recording techniques, plus a history of the group. It's the fascinating story of how a colorful cast of tech geniuses and visionaries merged art, technology, and commerce into one of the most successful touring businesses in music history.

"An excellent, well-written and accurate work. I found it very informative—even though I was there."
—Owsley Stanley, AKA "Bear"

#9934  by Pigpen

where can we order this?

#9937  by qiuniu

I beg you to go to your local independent book store and buy or order there.

Amazon is destroying the book industry, please don't support them they are evil incarnate.

#9960  by amyjared

Amazon is destroying the book industry, please don't support them they are evil incarnate.
Why is this? What do they do that is evil? I would think that Borders/Barnes and Noble would be doing this but that Amazon actually uses some of the independents to contract out and sell their books. Please, let me know more. Thanks!

#10364  by acidrain30005

When is this coming out?

#10371  by tigerstrat

I think it is already out is it not? I'm expecting my copy any day now...

#10372  by acidrain30005

Hmm. I haven't seen it at a Borders that I go to, maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.