#99307  by jackevorkian

By lower volume I mean about "4" or "5" on a Twin. I have a D120 that I just don't think sounds all that great with this setup. I seem to prefer ceramic speakers anyway. Is it worth getting E120's for this type of volume playing? I have some Tone Tubbies, a Weber neo, and a Scumback that sound great at this volume, but none of them are all that JBL sounding.
 #99310  by myoung6923

I use a twin with 2 e120's at about a 4 volume - and the guitar volume at about 75% - and I wouldn't call it "lower" volume - it's pretty freakin' loud!
 #99316  by Capt Rosebuddy

Yea.....4 or 5 on a Twin is by no means low volume. that's very, very, loud.

I have a pair of E120's and they sound great down around 1-1.5 which is what I usually play at. On occasion I'll push them up to 2.5-3 or so and that's rattling the panes out of my windows. 4 -5 would be setting car alarms off on my block.
 #99373  by redeyedjim

Single E-120 vs a pair of E-120's in a low volume situation: Can I get a nice Jerry tone from a single E-120, or do I need two to get the job done? This is for jamming with friends in a space equivalent to a two car garage and playing solo, not for gigging. Assume for the sake of this question that the rest of my setup is consistent with what others in this forum are using (SMS CTP/JG + Mesa 50/50 in low volume mode), so I have much more power than I will ever use.

Discovering this forum has caused me to take a hard look at my gear and ditch (or at least store) the stuff that's been bugging me. I've made some huge strides towards that sound and am now looking at my speakers, and having found a good deal on a single E-120 I'm trying to decide if I should track down a second one and a 2 X 12 cabinet or if a single E-120 will do? I'm currently using an older pair of Celestion BG10H-150 10" drivers, and while those were appropriate for my old setup they aren't really warm enough for my current one.

Thanks!