#98296  by uneek23

wow... I should've come here first... I just got an SMS Classic and am trying to find a good power amp as well. I had narrowed it down to these exact same 2, and was doing a general search that led me to this thread. I was leaning toward the Velocity 100, but I can't seem to come to a conclusion.. I am only running into a 1x12 (for now) so I'm assuming that it'll have enough power.. I am FAR from a "gearhead" and trust just about anyone else's opinion on such matters. Is the Velocity 300 a better choice? (Especially if i eventually add another speaker?) any other opinions? I REALLY WANNA GET THIS RIG GOIN>>> you guys rock. thanks
 #98300  by PaulJay

Hey, I did not get an SMS yet but, when I do I want to use the Rocktron v-100 and one E-120 with it. I think it will be fine for small venues. It's reasonably priced and was given good reviews. Where do you plan on using your rig? ,Paul
 #98303  by uneek23

PaulJay wrote:Hey, I did not get an SMS yet but, when I do I want to use the Rocktron v-100 and one E-120 with it. I think it will be fine for small venues. It's reasonably priced and was given good reviews. Where do you plan on using your rig? ,Paul

Same Here. Although I bought an Eminence Commonwealth to tide me over until I can justify purchasing the e120. I plan on playing it in mostly smaller venues, and generally will mic it through the PA. I think I'm just gonna get the v-100. too many options are making me crazy... thanks!
 #98435  by tcsned

I finally got the Mosvalve MV962 tested out at home and I'm really impressed. I was planning on using it for a backup for the Mark III and to power the talk box but if the home test at pretty good volume levels is close to how it'll perform at a gig I'll be more than happy with it at gigs. I'll gig test it soon. A great deal at $175 for sure.
 #98437  by strumminsix

tcsned wrote:I finally got the Mosvalve MV962 tested out at home and I'm really impressed. I was planning on using it for a backup for the Mark III and to power the talk box but if the home test at pretty good volume levels is close to how it'll perform at a gig I'll be more than happy with it at gigs. I'll gig test it soon. A great deal at $175 for sure.
I knew you'd like it :lol:
 #98438  by tcsned

strumminsix wrote:
tcsned wrote:I finally got the Mosvalve MV962 tested out at home and I'm really impressed. I was planning on using it for a backup for the Mark III and to power the talk box but if the home test at pretty good volume levels is close to how it'll perform at a gig I'll be more than happy with it at gigs. I'll gig test it soon. A great deal at $175 for sure.
I knew you'd like it :lol:
I never thought I would use the words "solid state" and "like" in the same sentence especially a $175 solid state amp. Brad's awesome preamp has a lot to do with it. It's got great snap and clarity in the low end and plenty of power at 80w per side don't think I'll have to bridge it and can use channel B for the talk box.
 #98439  by strumminsix

tcsned wrote:I never thought I would use the words "solid state" and "like" in the same sentence especially a $175 solid state amp. Brad's awesome preamp has a lot to do with it. It's got great snap and clarity in the low end and plenty of power at 80w per side don't think I'll have to bridge it and can use channel B for the talk box.
Same here. I've had mind for about 8 years now... Alot has come and gone but it stays. In other news, I'm testing my SMS w/ my Mesa 20/20 tonight!
 #98440  by strummingturtle

When starting up my rack system, I started out with the rocktron 300 and then got a mosvalve 962 for $150 from e-bay for a backup amp. The mosvalve is now my #1. I feel it has a cleaner sound and also seems to push harder.
hard to explain my sound just seems more alive. Maybe the old amp just has more mojo.
keep searching for the sound.
 #98448  by uneek23

I've still got an MV962 in my ebay watch list.. I had heard it mentioned in other forums and you guys are making a pretty convincing case. all functionality aside, it seems my dilemma has come down to: warranty vs. coolness.....