#98001  by SarnoMusicSolutions

Yup, I totally hear it. But I also kind of associate some of that style to Freddie King. Freddie could get a bit more busy and "jammy" than Albert or BB or Otis or Hubert to name a few. You gotta know that Jerry, Mike, and pretty much everyone playing electric guitar back then was going to see the great bluesmen every chance they could. And a lot of guys were getting into Roy Buchanan as well. Maybe it's just me, but that '73 Jerry Band stuff really reminds me of Roy.

But all that said, I bet you're right that Mike had a real influence and we can hear it in Jerry's licks and his extended jammy bluesy approach. The timing was just right for that.

Brad
 #98005  by hogan

I've read somewhere a quote from Bloomfield where he says that Garcia was ripping him off. I think it was an old vintage guitar mag.
 #98022  by Capt Rosebuddy

Well it's just my opinion, but 'ripping off' might be a tad of an overstatement. The early dead was in my mind a Blues/Dance band on a lot of strong acid. And really when it comes to their improvisational material there were only a few different ways to skin a cat. That said, yea the playing and phrasing are very reminiscent of the early GD. Tone wise though again I have to say that there really wasn't too much available in the gear market that would satisfy a gigging professional rock/blues band. Both guys plugged Gibson guitars into Fender Amps and the tone was bound to have some overlap.

That Newport gig is (as I'm sure a bunch of you guys know) pretty infamous. Dylan came out with guys from The Butterfield Blues Band and played electric music for the first time (in public) at the Newport festival. The crowd went berserk and Pete Seeger had to beheld back from taking a hatchet to the speaker cables (he claims the hatchet thing is a myth but like any good story it has some measure of truth to it I'm sure). At any rate Dylan was electric for the first time in public and I bet they where LOUD! just to prove a point. Al Kooper tells the story of the Highway 61 sessions in the PBS Dylan doc which is excellent. Dylan was forging new ground with that Highway 61 matearal but he was also thumbing his nose at the New York, lefty, intellectual, folk scene at that show which I think is pretty great, really the first punk thing ever done in modern music. Maggies farm that night was a giant FU to the folk establishment. That's Peter Yarrow who introduces them and he actually had to come back out after their short set to try to smooth things over with the extremely pissed off crowd. Dylan came back out and played some acoustic numbers but things would never be the same.

Bloomfield played a bunch of gigs for Chet Helms' Family Dog and I believe Bill Grahm in SF. I believe they shared the bill with the GD on a few occasions.

Thanks for posting that clip, it's an interesting subject to chew over.
cheers.
 #98115  by Pete B.

I have a friend who reccomened I check out a guy I never heard of, Harvey Mandel (there's a fair amount of youtube of his stuff), as an influence on Jers early soloing style, and this friend also thinks there is a later influence on the Terrapin stuff.
His Wiki mentions both Garcia and Mike Bloomfield:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvey_Mandel

This You Tube is titled:
Harvey Mandel; World's Premiere Psychedelic Guitar Player
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3dECTY7 ... re=related
 #98119  by jackr

I have always thought his early stuff was very bloomfield influenced. I am a huge bloomfield fan.

It takes a lot of time to develop our own styles. Remember in 65 jerry was in his early 20s and he started playing guitar late. SO he just needed more time but he was never a bloomfield clone. He had his own flavor.
 #98133  by tigerstrat

They were both ripping off Freddy King and B.B. King (who were probably ripping off somebody theyselves...)
 #98165  by Pete B.

Yeah, I too think more in terms of... "enjoys playing in the style of..." rather than ripping off.
"'Likes to work in a few quotes from his favorite hero's" maybe?
"Influeced by..."
fwiw, I'm glad he broke away from the Bloomfied fast box-pattern-ee stuff.
Did Wolfman Jack rip off Howlin' Wolf?
 #98167  by mijknahs

Listen to some early Freddie King to hear Garcia's influence. Like this album:

http://www.amazon.com/Just-Pickin-Fredd ... _ep_dpi_12

Yeah, Harvey Mandel is pretty cool. Love the "Baby Batter" album. I think Jerry used to jam with Harvey Mandel and Elvin Bishop (around the same time as Howard Wales).
 #98174  by tcsned

Pete B. wrote:I have a friend who reccomened I check out a guy I never heard of, Harvey Mandel (there's a fair amount of youtube of his stuff), as an influence on Jers early soloing style, and this friend also thinks there is a later influence on the Terrapin stuff.
His Wiki mentions both Garcia and Mike Bloomfield:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvey_Mandel

This You Tube is titled:
Harvey Mandel; World's Premiere Psychedelic Guitar Player
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3dECTY7 ... re=related
Wasn't he the first guy to do the two hand tapping thing?