Chat about Equipment Info
 #97375  by Dascher

I'm having trouble getting a consistent tone out of my Q-tron pedal. I am playing a LP studio with a Crate GLX amp and just a couple other pedals. I always play the Q-tron with the middle pup. My problem is that the low notes hit too hard and around the 15th fret i get no sound at all. Would a compressor or maybe an eq pedal help?
 #97380  by playingdead

The trick I always used with the Q-Tron was to set the pedal so the envelope opens easily for the notes you're having the most trouble with ... in this example, set it so it triggers perfectly over the 15th fret, and then adjust your picking attack so it opens correctly for the low notes as well (i.e., pick a lot softer down low on the neck when you're playing with it engaged). Takes some practice, but a compressor would be the last thing you want to have before an envelope filter because it's all about attack and a compressor just squashes everything to be more uniform. Hope that helps.
 #97385  by JonnyBoy

don't run a compressor before it, it should be before everything anyway. That may be one of your issues if you have other pedals running into it, try it first in the chain... It is the kind of pedal you have to learn how to use I think. After a few hours with it you'll get it.

As for the compressor or Eq that would not be for Jerry tones specifically. A compressor after the pedal will tame the horrible highs and lows that seem to want to bust your speaker and ears especially with an octave pedal, but still you have to have the pedal operating properly first and add that to taste. Adding more pedals to it will not make it easier to use if that is your question, it may help tame some of the extremes is all.