Chat about Equipment Info
 #97348  by Counterstriker

I made a little video to show the tone on this thing without the JBLs. I know you can hear the tone off John K but I'm just here to show the tone before it hits the E120s.

My signal is:

Carvin DC145 (Middle pickup) > H&K BM > Alesis Nanoverb > then right into a zoom H4N. I'm eventually going to buy a QSC GX3 and a JBL. But here is the tone.

And I'm using the Cabinetulator output.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV0zqwTA ... ideo_title

Should I add more mids?
 #97352  by unnbrokenchain

Wow. That actually sounds great for just showcasing the preamp. Once the whole thing gets set up, no doubt it will be great. Even though all of us attempt to emulate the sound of Jerry, we all still end up sounding different from each other. Your tone sounds very similar to mine, so I guess that is why I really like it. The only suggestion I have would be to maybe add a clean boost to the front of the preamp, or turn the gain/volume up to make the channel a little dirtier. Doing this gets you a pretty good 77 tone which I always seem to gravitate towards. I think your mids are fine, the treble though can always be turned up higher :lol:

Seems like you made a great buy with the H&K. Working on my rack rig now. Just waiting on my Sarno preamp and lexicon mx400. Can't wait to get it set up, take some pics and post them along with some audio clips.
 #97354  by Counterstriker

Thanks! The treble can't go any higher :/ I'm gonna turn the gain up a bit to get more a bite like you were saying! I'm gonna bring the bass down i think, I also have a boss equalizer I can throw in the loop in if needed. I hope to have the rig up before summer!

*Sorry for the HUGE picture, I don't have photoshop on the laptop I'm on*
 #97425  by JonnyBoy

dunno how that tone stack plays with each other, but if you are looking for more high end try cutting rather than boosting, ie lower your bass totally, mids a smidge and turn up your tone pot on the guitar. If it reacts like a twin or other vintage preamp, lowering your bass and mids will put you in another treble territory as subtle as a change that may be. I think it sounds good and your playing has sky rocketed. Good for you CS!!
 #97427  by RiverRat

In a slight less eloquent tone than JonnyBoy...

"Turn the F@$king BASS down!!!"

But seriously, if the H&K is voiced like all their other stuff...

Bass:1 Mids:1 Treble: 10

That will get you real close to the Jerry zone.
 #97429  by playingdead

Sounds pretty damn good to me, like the man says, just turn up the reverb a little bit ... if you got yourself a Holy Grail spring reverb, you'd be right there.

Resist the temptation to make it brighter, it will thin out in the mix if you do. Whatever coincidental combination of that speaker simulator and that Carvin pickup seems to have dropped you in a pretty good place, at least from knowing how my own guitar sounds isolated and how it sits in the multitrack mixes.

Put it into a power amp and E-120 and no telling how it's going to sound.
 #97463  by Counterstriker

Thanks guys, I'm making a new audio clip. I tried turning the bass down and mids but without it it just sounds to thin and not enough of that full sound. I turned my tone all the way up and I got a better tone.. Wow.. Looking at the bluesmaster as I type this I totally missed the bright switch.. I'll try that too in the audio test. My uncle has a emminence speaker that is supposed to be an E120 copy.. The name escapes me right now..
 #97476  by Counterstriker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd8sn97mmYw

New video!

I now use the bright switch, I brought the bass down a hair without losing any fullness in the tone, also turned the gain up a bit, starting to get a little more bite.

I swear I had more reverb when i was recording it.. Seems like alot less now its on youtube..

And I kinda just jump around on songs haha, I didn't know what to play!
 #97538  by JamminJommy

Yeah. No speakers, no power amp.

There's something organic about the pre-amp, power-amp, speaker combination that negates the sterility of just running a pre-amp direct. That said, it's a great tone outa that thing!
 #102807  by Counterstriker

I just got a new JBL and ssp cab, I'm waiting on a friend to drop off a poweramp, but while I was waiting I went ahead and hooked the bluesmaster up to jbl with the 5 watts of power the bluesmaster has and WOW!! I've tried this with my other speakers and all I get is a nasally high pitch tone. But with the bluesmaster it's instant jerry, I'm not even using the Cabnetulator output! I'll upload a video later on how the bluesmaster sounds with the whole rig up and running!
 #102899  by brbadg

Would you mind helping me figure out how to hook it up to a power amp? I have no instructions with mine.Thanks!