Chat about Equipment Info
 #96986  by BDI

Hey Folks! New member here.
I'm remodeling my strat to be more of a Jerrycaster, but I can't conceptualize the wiring :D . I was going to put in Waldo's buffer, and replace the second tone with the stereo jack for an OBEL (The 1st tone would be a master tone, possibly after the loop?). Also is there a way to wire a switch to bypass/disengage the buffer if I felt like going passive for a gig? I found this diagram, but I can't figure out how to change it around to how I want to set it up

So basically, I'd want: 3 single coils, Master volume, master tone, OBEL (with the bypass switch), and the TPC1 (with bypass/shut off switch, if possible?)
If you guys could help me out I'd be SO appreciative :hail: . This would be my dream guitar!

-Bryan
 #96987  by JonnyBoy

first take inventory of the guitar and find out what you have at the moment and you could be helped piece by peiece. solve one thing at time, do you want all new pickups?

And yes you can put an on off switch easily.
 #96988  by BDI

Oh I can really see how my post could be confusing. Right now I have a stratocaster stock except for the pickups (fender cs '69s). I plan on keeping the pickups, very versatile. I haven't bought anything else yet, but I literally live within walking distance of a radioshack.
 #96989  by BDI

I actually think I may have figured it out, except for one part. Question rephrased: Is there any way to wire a switch to turn off/bypass the buffer without still draining the battery?

-Bryan
 #96990  by Gr8fulGreg

This is how i layed my strat out and i love how it sounds... Not sure why you would want an on off for the buffer tho?... but it could prob be done... I would say just ask waldo!... anyway just my .02cents

Image lil smaller
 #97011  by JonnyBoy

Like greg added you are just breaking the circuit with the battery by using a stereo jack. run the neg from the battery to a stereo plug rather than using a mono plug. When a plug gets inserted it completes the circuit and current runs to the buffer. Unplugged it breaks the circuit and turns it off. I know you can put a switch in there to that will turn it off and on, which is essentially the same idea, but then you have to buy and mount a toggle for it and wire the signal before the buffer. But then you can turn it off when playing if that is your desire. again, You have to route the signal outside the buffer though cuz when there is no power there is no sound.
 #97020  by BDI

Ok so this is what I came up with. Got the buffer and loop with respective bypass switches (I sometimes like/use the tone I get from longer cords' signal loss. It has its applications). I also put in a series/parallel switch for the bridge and middle, a neck-on switch (so I can do bridge+neck, my favorite position on a strat), and a kill switch. Does this seem correct or is there a mistake somewhere? Thanks guys, you were TONS of help! :cheers:

-Bryan
 #97022  by BDI

I just realized with this design, if I do bypass the buffer, it sends the high impedance signal to a 25k pot. That just sounds BAD (how could I have missed that? :D ). I'm just gonna nix the buffer bypass. You guys were right about not wanting to bypass it. I'll just play a different strat if I want those passive signal-loss qualities

-Bryan
 #97048  by Gr8fulGreg

Thats a lot of switches from what it looks like.... thats a lot to mount on a strat without having to rout and if you are going to rout good luck.... i feel like somethings missing from your schem not sure what it is... in my case Simple is better... one switch 3 knobs 5 way switch... and it rocks... the only work that has to be done is drilling 2 jack holes...
 #97049  by BDI

I've actually had to edit my diagram because I noticed a few other problems. But know I think I got it. Thanks so much guys! I'm really excited to try Waldo's buffer, and just placed my order! Now I just have to wait for my parts to get in... :D :D :D