Chat about Equipment Info
 #96787  by JonnyBoy

I always figured the wavelengths could be copied identical, but still there are variables the machine just can't copy or deal with. Its like the idea that a fender twin into a 1x12 cab or a 2x12 cab or a pa all sound drastically different. I can't see how this is gonna solve issues with similar variables. Modeling has to go farther than the axeFx to be worthwhile for me, which I think only axeFx is set up to do this. Maybe this is as specific as the axe to detail, but dunno. I bet this is the next realm for AxeFx to introduce anyway, and idiot proof way to copy your other rigs. I think you can make your own IR files for the axe already which is essentially the same thing maybe?
 #96788  by jkstraw

Oh man!! I just hit a plateau with my GAS and have a great rig....why oh why did you post this! :?

Seems like a perfect marriage for my love of tone and technology......lots of questions left unanswered. Thanks for the heads up! :cool:
 #96790  by JonnyBoy

JKstraw, I think your axe is still ahead of the curve on this one. I will make a hefty bet that AxeFx will have a way to easily copy rigs using IR files with some sort of procedure or piece of equipment. I think Vic made some of his own IR files while developing his Jerry tone on the Axe Rig. I could be wrong, but I think this is exactly the same thing. I think the difference is how easy it would be to copy rigs and how close they come to sounding right.
 #96791  by jkstraw

Hey JonnyBoy - you could very well be right. There are a lot of unknowns with the Kemper (believe me I have been scouring the net this morning!). I'll need to take a closer look at how IR's are done on the AxeFX side as well. From the videos I have seen so far though this thing produces some killer tones (as does the axefx). Honestly though - my interest in this device is more a statement on my inability to control my unending compulsion for guitar toys rather than any real practical purpose (as my wife will attest!) :lol:
 #96794  by hogan

If I have an amp that I want to profile, why do I need a profiler? How many of us have access to a stable of amps? Interesting idea, but kind of flawed in its practical use.
 #96797  by strumminsix

hogan wrote:If I have an amp that I want to profile, why do I need a profiler? How many of us have access to a stable of amps? Interesting idea, but kind of flawed in its practical use.
I can think of a few uses:
- Perfect of the person who's too scared to bring an amp out of his house.
- replicating their studio tone
- want their favorite amp but to go direct
- needs multiple of their amps a night

I'm curious if it can do live re-amping.

While it's cool technology, it's not all that feasible for 90% of musicians, IHMO .
 #96799  by RiverRat

JonnyBoy wrote:I always figured the wavelengths could be copied identical, but still there are variables the machine just can't copy or deal with. Its like the idea that a fender twin into a 1x12 cab or a 2x12 cab or a pa all sound drastically different. I can't see how this is gonna solve issues with similar variables. Modeling has to go farther than the axeFx to be worthwhile for me, which I think only axeFx is set up to do this. Maybe this is as specific as the axe to detail, but dunno. I bet this is the next realm for AxeFx to introduce anyway, and idiot proof way to copy your other rigs. I think you can make your own IR files for the axe already which is essentially the same thing maybe?
The Kempler uses a difference technique for getting the initial parameter where they use your amp to arrive at the modelling parameters, so things like custom cabs get incorporated into the model. This is a lot different than the AxeFX system of a predefined model that is then customized to meet the users needs.

For someone wants to model their custom twin, Macintosh and cabinet with the idea of leaving the original rig at home and using the Kempler in it's place live... It's perfect!
 #96815  by hogan

Playing through static snapshots of a profiled amp sounds like a death sentence.
SS you might want to bump that % up to about 99% also.
As I said, I think its an interesting idea that's just at the bottom of a very steep hill of practicality.
Do you have a dumble you can profile? Real tweed bassman, deluxe reverb, twin, hiwatt, jtm45, trainwreck, matchless etc?
 #96819  by playingdead

The NAMM demos were less than inspiring (not a great player doing them, by any means and it's hard to get a sense on a Youtube video). Nothing has emerged as more than vaporware so far.

Definitely an interesting concept ... still has the "limitations" of needing a full-range system to play out with, although it doesn't bother ME any. Presumably, it won't work with a regular guitar cabinet and power amp. Also has a bit of a 70s Star Wars R2D2 vibe in the design.

What hasn't been made clear is how you can "sample" a given amp one time and then change gain and tone control settings as you might on the real deal. That seems mysterious to me. I can't imagine that it can automatically sense what the particular bright switch or treble pot on a Twin reverb does off one setting. And whether or not you can have a range of speakers and cabinets to choose from or if you are stuck with what you sampled. And the effects sampling, how can those parameters be adjusted accurately?

Can't wait to see, though.
 #96832  by jkstraw

It's worth checking out the axefx forums for a 25 pg discussion on this device. Don't think this is vaporware - the thread indicates it should be out in June for around 1600 USD

The thread over there has users who have played it - the first 15 or so pages sounds exactly like our thread here but as hands on reviews come in peoples hopes seem to be getting up. Everyone seems to agree ..... More info needed. :-)
 #96836  by midnight

From what Iv read and watched online these are some points to mention.

1. It will come with many profiles already in the memory bank.

2. It will not profile your effects. So if you are running through a pedal board you will have to bypass it. But it does have an effects loop.

3. In the future you will be able to get EQ profiles from Kemper that match the passive EQ's on the original amp. So if you choose to you can load up the EQ tone stack of the actual amp you have profiled.

4. Some how the algorithm can differentiate between the amp and the cab. So you will have the option of choosing different cabs if you want.