Chat about Equipment Info
 #96594  by TI4-1009

Is this only online, or is it in the paper copy too? I just got my new subscription issue and it's missing pages 46-66 (including the twin reverb article...)?? It came sealed. Anyone else?
 #96603  by tcsned

TI4-1009 wrote:Is this only online, or is it in the paper copy too? I just got my new subscription issue and it's missing pages 46-66 (including the twin reverb article...)?? It came sealed. Anyone else?
I have the paper copy of the Cripe article.
 #96680  by playingdead

It's (slightly) ironic that they added the Youtube video of Garcia doing Peggy-o to illustrate the article ... which features the beloved (and reviled) "Bolt tone," except he's playing Rosebud. :shock:

I didn't know Steve Cripe (not Cripes) had used a Sharpie to color the blue half of the lightning bolt, though. Yet another detail uncovered. Be sure and use a medium tip Sharpie to get the correct tone, and three coats of lacquer for the correct green tint.
 #96682  by gr8fullfred

Very interesting article on Cripe. One interesting observation from the picture of Bolt is that the 9 ply neck is comprised of tapered pieces. The components of the neck are not all parallel with each other. This is easiest to observe with the center ply as it is clearly wider at the body strap button than at the nut. As are the two wider white pieces adjacent to the center strip. The remaining smaller pieces may or may not be parallel, I can't tell from the photo. Also interesting is the apparent use of a fine tuning bridge.

Another apparent point of confusion is this quote from the article:
Satisfied with the guitar, Cripe embarked on a campaign to get the instrument to Garcia. This was ultimately accomplished through a record-company contact friendly with Garcia collaborator David Grisman.
I thought I read somewhere that Bolt "arrived in the mail at GD productions"

Fred